Thread: GFCI Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Where do you get that?
    I got it directly from the instructions which came with the GFCI outlets I installed in my shop. I don't have the booklet right now, but it clearly stated something to the effect of, "This unit is designed to work for blah blah. When it fails, it must be replaced blah blah...".

Here's an article which specifically mentions GFCI End of Life (EOL):

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/2161/docserve.aspx

Note:
    On some of the GFCI outlets, the End of Life (EOL) is not displayed via LED. EOL is reached
    when the RESET button no longer engages (or does not stay pressed in) and GFCI output power is
    denied. On others, it is the combination of LED and RESET button position that reflects EOL. For
    example, on Pass&Seymour 1595-W, if LED is on and RESET button does not stay pressed in, the GFCI

outlet has reached its EOL.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 07-02-2010 at 11:17 PM.

I must have bought better quality GFCI outlets than you did. Mine still work fine after 29 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I got it directly from the instructions which came with the GFCI outlets I installed in my shop. I don't have the booklet right now, but it clearly stated something to the effect of, "This unit is designed to work for blah blah. When it fails, it must be replaced blah blah...".

Here's an article which specifically mentions GFCI End of Life (EOL):

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/2161/docserve.aspx

Note:
    On some of the GFCI outlets, the End of Life (EOL) is not displayed via LED. EOL is reached
    when the RESET button no longer engages (or does not stay pressed in) and GFCI output power is
    denied. On others, it is the combination of LED and RESET button position that reflects EOL. For
    example, on Pass&Seymour 1595-W, if LED is on and RESET button does not stay pressed in, the GFCI

outlet has reached its EOL.
    I've seen that too, but it doesn't mention timing out. It mentions End Of Life. Exposure to water and repeated tripping are known to cause any breaker to fail prematurely.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC