Thread: I Need a Bigger Fridge!!!

I Need a Bigger Fridge!!!

I have started to rough out the walnut that I got a couple of weeks ago and I still have a long way to go. I still have to get most of the wood but my "helper" with the truck and the trailer is busy till later this week.

In the first load in my kiln I have walnut, cherry and some oak burl.

Thanks for lookin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Pete, I sure am likin' the look of some of those blanks!!

Question - do you have ventilation between the compartments? Would seem you need some way to circulate the air throughout the fridge.

Me, too - got WAY too much beer in there. Nice wood, BTW.

Lookin good Pete. Let us know how your process works.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Question - do you have ventilation between the compartments? Would seem you need some way to circulate the air throughout the fridge.

John, those Fridge Kilns work on the "hot air rises principle". You put holes in the top and the bottom, as the lights heat up the air it rises, drawing air from the bottom holes across the blanks and out the top. Can't tell if his kiln has the holes thou.

i have had horrible luck with cherry in kiln, oak i have never tried but am leary, maple worked the best for me

i always did the blank, not a roughout....could have been my problem

expect more pictures in a weeks time

good luck

Pete, Pete what happened to the beer????
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey...that's pretty neat! How's the dry-time on the inch-per-time scale Pete?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I am pretty new to fridge-kilns. I just checked on a couple of maple bowl blanks and they are firewood now. Huge cracks big enough to drive a car through. Can you share a little about your light wattage, fans and vent hole configuration?

My first batch of blanks included cherry bowls, an ash hollowform, some box stock in ash and red elm and a couple of maple HF's. There is a minor design opportunity in one of the maple hollowforms but otherwise it worked out. I'm very encouraged by this as I hate having a vat of DNA in the shop and it is very difficult to source in Canada. Besides, I have to buy that. All I need for the fridge kiln is the occasional light bulb and some electrons.

Have fun!

Nice looking setup. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. Seems like a range of thicknesses in the pieces you have there... Not sure if that affects the drying process or not.

John,Question - do you have ventilation between the compartments? Would seem you need some way to circulate the air throughout the fridge.

Yes John, I cut out the bottom of the freezer and just have a couple of sticks there.

John H, Hey...that's pretty neat! How's the dry-time on the inch-per-time scale Pete?
    I don't do story problems in the summer time. I just fill it up and take them out in about 3 weeks.
    Bernie, Pete, Pete what happened to the beer????

I drank it all after I learned you had skipped me on your trip

Steve,
    I got the plans from a recent Woodturning Design magazine.

I have 2 60 watt bulbs in there but I usually only use one. I have a computer fan and one hole drilled for ventilation.
    I did use the DNA method for a long while but I like this much better. It is quicker and much cheaper.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf