Thread: ceramic tile over vinyl?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If there's subfloor AND underlayment underneath the vinyl, that could make the tearout quicker if you pull the underlayment and vinyl as one, depending on how the underlayment was installed.

Personally, I'm not a fan of constantly adding floor coverings without tearing out the previous. It just makes any problems down the line harder to find and fix, and it really doesn't add that much extra work. I've got 2 bathrooms that have carpet over vinyl and a kitchen that has vinyl over vinyl, and when I get around to those projects, it's ALL coming out, to be replaced with tile done right.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

many many years ago when i first started in construction i learned a very valuable lesson " it takes at least 4 times longer to do it twice than it does to do it right the first time and you never get as good a job if you have to do it twice"

remember the kids story about the tortoise and the hare? its a good thing to keep in mind as a general rule of thumb

Funny...

I'm contemplating on how to best do the exact opposite... vinyl over tile... but I know the answer and that's precisely why I haven't done it yet.

I agree with the rest of the folks, it wouldn't do well long-term.