Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all G0513X2 owners!

Calling all G0513X2 owners!

OK...here's the scoop...

I have been torn between buying a G0513X2 and a G0514X2 for some time now. It has taken me a long time to save and I am oh so very close to getting there. I have been saving up with the intention of getting the G0514X2, but I am also very cool with saving money (as in the $400 difference in price).

Anyway...I just this week...made a trip to the Grizzly store. I thought that seeing the 2 machines would help me decide...

I didn't. It made it worse.

So...my question is this...Do any of you owners of the G0513X2 wish you had purchased more? Is there anything that you cannot do on your G0513X2 that you could on...say...the 514X2???

I like the idea of the bigger motor, slightly beefier parts, etc. But is it overkill for a "non-production" guy like myself?

Please help me before I go insane.

Or, at least, "insaner"...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I haven't come across anything that I couldn't do on my G0513X2. I love mine. Had I had the money at the time I would have purchased the 5143x2 just because I liked the 3hp motor and the table tilt setup. If you saved up for the 514 then get it and don't look back. There is no reason to come back a year from now and say "If I would have just bought the G0514x2"

I second what Cary says. I have not found anything my 513x2 cannot do, and in all likelihood, it can do a lot more than what I am asking of it. though if you can get a bigger machine now, why not?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

4. Harold - If you saved up for it, go with the G0514X2. From a personal point of view, I love that geared table tilt on the 514 and the bigger motor never hurts.

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pdf/Grizzly_...risonChart.pdf

I forgot to add that you get a foot brake and a larger table. Some may argue about the usefullness of the brake but a larger table is always nice.

I have the G0514X2, and I use the foot brake all the time - it's a very convenient feature!

Regards,
    Steve

Blog Entries
    I am very happy with the 513 platform. More power is always a good thing when resawing so I would not turn my nose up at an extra pony or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ash View Post
    I have the G0514X2, and I use the foot brake all the time - it's a very convenient feature!
    Steve, help me out as I am just ignorant on this. There are times I find myself waiting for the blade to wind down when I want to setup for a change in re-saw width. Is this the sort of thing the brake helps with?

I suspect the brake is like several things I didn't know were so valuable until I had them. There are a few such things that I wouldn't want to do without, having had them available now. I'm betting the brake is one I wish I had.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I wish I would get smaller one with riser. 513x2 is huge, I am unable to move it to my basement so it stays in the garage.

I have the G0513X2 and the only thing I don't like so far is on mine I can't use a 1/4" blade. It won't track in the center. The 1/2 & 3/4 do. That's the only complaint I have. Maybe it's something I'm doing or not doing.
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 08-05-2010 at 7:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am very happy with the 513 platform. More power is always a good thing when resawing so I would not turn my nose up at an extra pony or more.

Steve, help me out as I am just ignorant on this. There are times I find myself waiting for the blade to wind down when I want to setup for a change in re-saw width. Is this the sort of thing the brake helps with?

I suspect the brake is like several things I didn't know were so valuable until I had them. There are a few such things that I wouldn't want to do without, having had them available now. I'm betting the brake is one I wish I had.
    Glenn, yes the brake just allows the blade to be stopped quickly and easily. As you mentioned, it's very nice when you need to change your setup and make another cut right away, but I generally stop the blade either way, just so I don't leave something spinning after I walk away. The brake also interrupts power if the machine is still running.

Regards,
    Steve

My G0513X

does everything I have tried, including sawing up some 8" oak timbers, and I have it wired for 120V right now. Just have to get the plug now that the outlets are wired in. The 3/4" blade seems well suited to the machine.

The difference between the 0513 and 0514, several versions, is only about $250, making the choice difficult. But if I was looking right now, that Polar Bear series G0513P, for $698 would be the clincher.

I have the G0514x2 and am glad I ponied up the extra cash for the 19" CI wheels, larger table, geared tilt table mechanism and foot brake.
    As for the foot brake, it is a great feature on a BS. I don't use it to stop blade spin, except when I'm doing a series of cuts. I've heard that using the brake all the time is not recommended, as it wears on the blade and the tires. What I do like about the brake is that it also acts as a power cut-off switch. Tap it with your foot and the power is killed. I use it almost exclusively, especially with large stock. I like to keep both hands on the work piece and kill the saw with my foot. IMO worth every penny.
    The geared tilt table is also another nice feature. Though I don't often tilt the table for angle cuts, it's nice to be able to dial in an angle with the turn of the wheel and lock it down. What's best about it is that it makes it easy to square the table to the blade without fighting with the table, the square and the table lock. IMO the adjustable stop on the Grizzly has too much flex in it to use to true up the table to 90 degrees to the blade. The gear tilt mechanism makes it a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

GO514X2, here's why:

I originally bought the CT103N Craftex bandsaw

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT103N

Similar specs to the GO513X2, though admittedly not quite as nice. I got it on sale for a very good price, and in worked very well. Tight curves, resawing 12" maple, it did it all. Then I had the opportunity to switch to the Steel City 50250 Industrial Bandsaw for about $150.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=2&tool=50250

Stronger motor, bigger table, 100lbs heavier, larger throat, foot brake, better guide bearings. It has been an excellent upgrade. As good as the CT103N was, the 50250 is that much better. The brake should be standard on every bandsaw. The CT103N didn't have vibration issues, but the added weight does make the 50250 that much more stable, and the stronger motor allows you to cut faster which is nice when on large jobs.

I haven't seen the GO514X2, but more power, heavier weight, bigger table, bigger throat, foot brake, mag switch, geared table rack and pinion tilt.... what's to think about? If you can afford it, get it! I just can't imagine regretting buying all that for another $350.

I could imagine however, wondering what could have been with a little extra cash in my pocket.

C

513x2 owner here. I've never needed more to answer your question.
    Never felt the need for the brake either, but can't argue with the fact "it would be nice".

Question for you, you have something else that you need that the $400 could get you? If not, go with the bigger unit, better safe than sorry when you are on the fence.

I have had my 513x2 for almost two years. Love it. I was originally looking at the 555X with riser, and I'm glad I didn't get and went one larger. I was also considering the Rikon saws at the same time. There have been a few time that I wished that I had a larger table and more height. But the 514X2 would not have helped in both cases. The best table would actually be an infeed/outfeed style tables for the saw. The few inch size increase for the 514X2 would not be a help for my situation. I have done some resawing at almost full height and it does an above average job (B/B+). If I was resawing every time or every other time I was in the shop, then I would want more power.