Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8" jointers, PM, JET, Grizzly?

8" jointers, PM, JET, Grizzly?

I'm looking to purchase a jointer for my home shop. I'm not high volume guy, I make three or four nice pieces a year. I'm looking for an 8" jointer that will be around for a very long time. I'm considering the PM 60HH, JET, and the Grizzly G0490X all spiral cutter heads. The PM comes with the Byrd and has a 54 carbide cutterhead, the JET and Grizzly come with a 40 carbide cutterhead. The cost of the PM is $1,000 more than the Grizzly and the is JET $900 more than the Grizzly. I have heard good things about Grizzly, but never owned one other their machines. I'll pay the difference for the PM (would love to have a gold machine in the room), but obviously like the $1,200 price of the Grizzly. I'm hung up on the number of CC on the Grizzly head and its long term quality. I don't think the JET is worth the extra $900, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Mustard yellow is quite attractive but, $1000!?! (sorry PM fans, don't start sending me hate-mail ). I've run the pee-wad out of a G0490X for years without regret. I will temper that with the fact that I am a parallelogram bed bigot; the extra pony is a nice touch as well. The newer models have the well discussed belt-slap and dust-chute issue corrected by design. The older ones, like mine, required a simple modification.

The PM is also a nice machine. I have not seen the Jet but, have some of their stuff and have no complaints. If you are not committed to a badge or a color, your options are pretty open. I may have seen a few bad remarks about each of these machines but, mostly good reviews all around. I hold the sneaking suspicion that some people can find something wrong with almost anything .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

i have had the g0490x since it came out, its still running like day 1. i face joint and edge joint over 100bf a month on it and its always a perfect cut

I sold my Grizzly 8" (no spiral head) for $450. I worked flawlessly the entire time I had it, and I felt the next guy got a great piece of equipment.

Then I would also consider a Delta DJ20. Have heard nothing but good things about these.

Or you could go 'old arn'...:

http://erie.craigslist.org/tls/3443802200.html

ok... Im not answering your question. (but you might consider used and then upgrade to the head you want)

In terms of quality, I have had several Grizzly machines and have had very positive experiences and have not worn a single one out.

I have two pieces of Grizz equipemnt, a table saw and planer. Both are superior to what I had. Could PM be superior to these? Hard to tell without trying. Go for the PM if you can afford, nice to have a Cadillac every once and a while.

I have a 490X as well. Must be pretty tough because the crate was demolished when it got here and it was still setup nearly perfect when I got it. Only had to adjust the outfeed table height.

The only bad thing I really hated was cleaning all the grease off. I was able to remove the cutterhead easily to make the cleaning less painful. So far I am very pleased with the purchase. I only have about 200bf of hard maple and walnut through it so far, but the cutters are still as sharp as when I got it.

The other thing that slightly bugs me is the track marks from the cutters. There some grooves the width of some of the cutters, not deep at all though. I just run one pass over that side on my planer with a byrd head. I have tried to adjust the individual cutters to make sure they are seated properly, but nothing changes. You really can't feel the tracks, but you can see them.

Overall its a great purchase for the money, I have no regrets and the money I saved allowed me to buy some other things.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/3463795585.html. If I didn't already have a eight inch jointer I maybe tempted to look at something used like this.

Dustin's post (#6) is what I was most concerned about. I wonder how dramatic a difference there is in the quality of the cut between the 54 CC Byrd and the 40 CC Grizzly head? I guess it should be obvious, but is it one of those things you would like to see before you jump in. Thanks for the feedback on Grizzly everyone.

You could buy the Grizzly jointer w/o the spiral head (G0490 at $850) and buy the Byrd head ($330) and still come out way ahead of the Powermatic. That would cost you a whopping $55 over the G0490X ($1125), and you'd have a brand new straight knife cutterhead to boot - though you'd have some labor involved to swap the heads.

I have the Grizzly and it has seen moderate use for the 3+ years I have had it. Have yet to rotate the first cutter. I have never noticed any tracks in any boards I have run over it. would buy it again

Go Grizz, and enjoy whatever tech support ya might ever need.
    Color is one thing, but performance is the decider.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You could buy the Grizzly jointer w/o the spiral head (G0490 at $850) and buy the Byrd head ($330) and still come out way ahead of the Powermatic. That would cost you a whopping $55 over the G0490X ($1125), and you'd have a brand new straight knife cutterhead to boot - though you'd have some labor involved to swap the heads.

The byrd head is only $330?

Then buy a used Grizzly 8" - $450 to $500
    A Byrd head - $330

You have everything you want for around $800

(ok, not quite everything. 2 cans of gold Rustoleum - $12)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    The byrd head is only $330?....
    No.

The Byrd head for the G0490 is $385. The Byrd head for the G0656 is $339.95.

Still a deal. I'd either go with straight knives or a Byrd head. I have a G0656 I bought used off Craigslist for $400 and I'm still quite happy with the knives. Works fine, so no early replacement of the blade cutterhead. But when the time comes, I'll go Byrd, not Grizz-brand.

I was all set to buy the Grizzly G0490X last year and then happened upon a new, in the box PM60HH for $1200 from a local guy. It was 3 phase, so the guy hadn't had many interested lookers. I bought a rotary converter which added a couple of hundred dollars to the mix. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it now. I've mostly edge jointed with it, but recently face jointed some cherry that twisted and I was very happy with the results. It seems to have plenty of power to do what I need it to do and the results are very smooth. But all I have to compare it with is my old 6" Jet Shopline.

There's a DJ20 just listed on woodweb for $900. Reputable seller too.