Thread: Lathe Plug Question

Lathe Plug Question

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of having a new home built and with the ok to buy a "big" lathe next year I went ahead and had the builder put a 220 in the garage as its cheaper to do that now then after the house is all built. However my builder just called wanting to know if I needed a two or three pronged outlet. So I called powermatic but they are in "company meetings" this morning and both the rocker and woodcraft by me don't have one in stock. Would an owner of the Powermatic 3520B be able to tell me what kind of plug is on the machine?

Thanks
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 08-11-2010 at 11:38 AM.

No Plug

It doesn't come with a plug at all. I used a NEMA 6-20 straight blade with ground 250VAC plug from Home Depot. They also have the matching receptacle.

Chris

You will need three prongs. Two hot plus the ground.

I would also get the plug at the same time and have the contractor maybe screw the bag for the plug to the outlets cover. So when your new lathe comes, you know where the plug is and that you have the correct one for the outlet you have installed.

Add more outlets and circuits

You should think about putting several more 220v outlets in to give you the flexibility to move equipment around, or add other machines wired for 220v. When I built my shop 4 years ago I put 220v outlets on every other stud all around the room 30 inches above the floor, plus two in the ceiling. The intervening studs have 110v 'quad' outlet boxes.

Put in multiple circuits, especially for 110v. It's easy for me to have an air cleaner, shop vac, lights, air compressor, etc. all running at the same time. One circuit won't support that much stuff all at once.

agree with a previous re: additional 220 outlets. Eventually, you probably will want one for dust collection eventually. Originally I had two, but added a third one.

For me, I think 4 is a good number on two adjacent walls.
    Vortex! What Vortex?