Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Laguna 18" bandsaw worth 750?

Is this Laguna 18" bandsaw worth 750?

Just noticed this on CL. The size is right, just don't know about the price or the quality of older laguna bandsaws. I don't want to get caught up in buying a name.

Heres the ad copy:
    I purchased this new from Laguna Tools about 1995. It has been used very little as I am an amateur woodworker. It is the early version with a resaw capacity of 12 inches. The table has surface rust from sitting in storage, but it is in good condition except for that. It has a 1/2 inch woodslicer blade on it and a spare new one. It has a 3HP 120/240 single phase motor. The rip fence is not shown, but it is included. I hate to give it up but I have moved and could not take it with me (it was too heavy)
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more photo

Here's another photo

Thanks for your help.

Trace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trace,
    That version of the Laguna saw is made by ACM in Italy.
    I have a '97 version and it is still running great.

I have been told that the weak link on this saw is the motor (mine is the original 3hp version and still runs fine) but the motor in the pictures looks like a Leeson not the ACM motor. Leeson makes very good motors which should last the life of the bandsaw.

$750 is not bad and it was probably purchased new for around $1800 in '95.

Good luck,
    John

I would buy it in a bit.
    Ed.

I'd have it in a heart beat.
    The Plane Anarchist

Yes, that's an excellent price, presuming the rust is minor. I have an ACM-built Laguna that's two years newer, and it is a workhorse in my shop. Brand-new Lagunas have a couple of changes, but are essentially the same saw, and they cost $3K or so.

Trace, if that were on my local CL it would be in my shop already.

Honestly, if people are selling something, take the 20 minutes to clean off the table rust and,by golly, gee whiz, you might actually sell it faster and/or get more $. Why are people so lazy when they are, essentially, in business for themselves?

Trace I would go for it AND I would put $650 in cash under his nose and mention the rusty table as a concern (even though it is probably not one at all).

So long as it runs okay, I would definitely pay $750. However, I agree with Dan that it is unbelievable that people don't clean their stuff up before placing it on CL.

I just begin watching CL (most for fun, some of the ads are really funny) this summer and have been surprised that even a minimal amount of cleaning (washing dirt of) seems to be beyond the reach of many CL sellers. I love the ads about items with small engines. "Won't run, but just needs spark plug," or "I haven't tried to start it, but it ran the last time I used it." Sure.

Thanks for everyone's input. I contacted the seller and it does have the Lesson motor but there is no 220v power at the storage unit so I would not be able to see it under power. That opens up a ton of other concerns. I may contact him again and tell him the price will have to be negotiable.

Dan and Gary I totally agree with y'all. I'm amazed that people don't put any effort into the items they are selling. I clean and polish my tools and will usually get top dollar for them. Oh well, there loss.

That's a nice saw. Indeed the motor has been changed to a leeson, probably 3hp continuos duty which is about the same has what the currant Baldor puts out. It should have 12" resaw. Aside for making sure it runs I would ask for a picture to show the condition of the tires. The price is good, you should ask him how much is he willing to let it go for. I would grab it.

That is a steal provided it runs well and I would buy it in a heartbeat....that is a great find.

Scot

If Trace can't see it running due to the 220 issue at the storage place, he could at the very least tell quite a bit about the saw, right? Tires for example, wheels being round and true, table (though rusty) being flat, guides, foot brake, tracking adjustment, table trunion... and more. Worst case, the motor is bad, but a new one is a couple hundred and he still has a great saw. So, perhaps this is even MORE of a reason to lowball the guy. Tell him you will give him $500 unless you can see it running? Or maybe, "I'll give you $500 now and $200 if I get it home and the motor runs...? How many times will he want to go out to the storage place to show this saw? I think this is an opportunity to get a very good deal. Please note, I talk a tough game, but I am NOT good with money and dealing - that is why I take my brother along for the old good cop/bad cop approach!

Any way to run a 220v saw from a car battery/electrical hook up?

I emailed this guy about it and he told me the local guy does not no anything about it. And he is in Washington state.
    Then he said the fence and blades were in Washington with him and would have to be shipped.
    Just kind of struck me as strange so I passed.
    Rusty

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Honestly, if people are selling something, take the 20 minutes to clean off the table rust and,by golly, gee whiz, you might actually sell it faster and/or get more $. Why are people so lazy when they are, essentially, in business for themselves?
    I have often wondered the same thing. Half of the time they don't even blow off the dust.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney