Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't laugh to hard at my chicken benches

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    You ask for critique Joseph.. so here it is. In picture #3 at the base of the leg there is a knot that traverses the piece. When doing a leg even with knotty pine as you have.. try to chose a piece without such as large, deep knot as the knot is in a critical place to support weight. That particular deep knot would have been fine if it were on the upper main body of the one piece leg. Other than that you have what I would have called on my first attempt.. a "master-piece" for the stage you are at momentarily.

You've got the right attitude so you will learn quickly. When I started in 1972 it was all trial and error as there was no inter-net you could ask questions on. So.. if in doubt as you progress just ask and the cavalary will saddle up and ride hard to your rescue!

Nice first project... enjoy your new hobby!
    Thank You Sir. The error is noted and I will keep that in mind when I build these again. I am going to do a couple more project that are similar and see if I can improve some. I would like to do some finger joints where the aprons and the leg meet up. I suppose I need to get some chisels and a dove tail saw and a coping saw for that. If not dove tails and least finger joints. Again, I really do appreciate your critique, thats what I really need at this point.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Anything you build with your own hands is a great project. Nicely done on these benches. One of the projects my family liked the best was a little step stool that my grandkids could pick up and take where it was needed. My great grandchildren are now using them.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Joseph, Great benches! My wife really liked them.
    With the exception of John's comment about the knot, quite often what some of us might try to "fix" in a piece for the next time we make one, is precisely what made it attractive in the first place! The end grain staining, the artwork, reclaimed wood, visible screws and yes even a little "cupping and twisting" all add to it's "charm" as my wife said.
    Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on the sale.

Thank Yall for the kindness and for looking.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Joe,

While you are getting your tools for the jointery you could always use dowels and glue instead of screws. Or if you need the screws, you could always put plugs over them to hide the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    Joe,

While you are getting your tools for the jointery you could always use dowels and glue instead of screws. Or if you need the screws, you could always put plugs over them to hide the heads.
    That is a good idea. Thank You

I am laughing,,,'cause the chickens are so cool they made me laugh. Great first project remember it is about the journey. I look back at things I made years ago and at first I think " was I ever really that bad?" but the more I look at the older pieces I see things I really like and may not have done since. Be glad my MIL didn't see them, she loves all things chicken and would have to become a chicken (bench) theif!

Thank Yall. Yesterday I made my first picture frame. I made my first two table saw jigs as well. One for my 45's and the other to put splines in the corners. I messed my first corner up a little but its will work out. I still have some work to do on it. I have to cut those splines flush today and put a finish on the frame. Pictures later.

I sold those benches today at a resale shop of all places and walked away with more than I thought I was gonna. Its being kind to say the craftsmanship on those benches was poor at best. The art sold those. I've learned a little though and bought some tools. So, I will produce the next project and see what happens.

I really expected to leave those on consignment and was telling her what they should go for. I figured would do a split. She reached in her pocket and paid. I am going to do the same bench but with a little joinery this time and no visible fasteners if I can help it. Cedar if I can afford it.

Bench made of used wood. Price $10

Handcrafted bench made from quality reclaimed vintage wood from Victorian era house. Loving assembled hand in our country workshop with hen and her chicks motif. A cheery place to sit and rest when you come to change your shoes or enjoy the tranquility your garden. Price $250

Same bench, different sales pitch. Read catalouge descriptions.

Your benches are probably better made than most of the stuff at any box store. The description makes or breaks the price. They look real good. My wife keeps telling me it is not what you say so much as how you say it. If you ask me my job description could said in one sentence. The job description in ads for my job when we are hiring takes a paragraph of 20 lines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Packwood View Post
    Bench made of used wood. Price $10

Handcrafted bench made from quality reclaimed vintage wood from Victorian era house. Loving assembled hand in our country workshop with hen and her chicks motif. A cheery place to sit and rest when you come to change your shoes or enjoy the tranquility your garden. Price $250

Same bench, different sales pitch. Read catalouge descriptions.

Your benches are probably better made than most of the stuff at any box store. The description makes or breaks the price. They look real good. My wife keeps telling me it is not what you say so much as how you say it. If you ask me my job description could said in one sentence. The job description in ads for my job when we are hiring takes a paragraph of 20 lines.
    John, my gosh, would you please write my next ad? I think I would have bought the darn thing myself looking at that ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph D'Orazio View Post
    John, my gosh, would you please write my next ad? I think I would have bought the darn thing myself looking at that ad.
    I'm not a word smith. My wife is always on me to talk more about my stuff. But read catalouges and you will get the idea. It is a real knack. Best of luck with it. Maybe you have a friend who is creative with words who is local. Usually the fairer sex is better, at least in my experience.