Thread: Holdfast Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Wicklund View Post
    I used (and enjoyed using) holdfasts in a friend's shop, and now that I'm getting my own workshop set up, I'm in search of a pair. There is a local smith who can produce them, but I've got a couple of questions before I put in the order. I've not been able to ask my friend for a variety of reasons, including his failing health.

First, shank size. 1/2" or 5/8"? My bench is relatively new and does not yet have dog holes, so that will not play into. Any real difference, or does it just depend on what stock is on hand?

Second, bench compatibility. My relatively new bench is also relatively crummy. Solid, heavy, and flat, but the top is 3/4" ply covered with 3/4" MDF. When I can, I plan to construct a more traditional top, but so far it's been a suitable first bench. I'm wondering if a) the holdfast will even grab in that material and b) if so, will the MDF just blow out immediately? (Which might give me the excuse I need to get going on a better bench.)

Thanks for the help. I hope this hasn't been covered at length - I searched several threads but couldn't find satisfying info.
    I also like the gramercy variety. Why not get your guy to make that type instead of forging something.

I'm in the category of someone who bought those original cast pieces of crap that sell at all of the "let's import junk now" woodworking mail order places carry. I broke them. I didn't feel like I was abusing them, I just broke them. One of them had apparently had enough and broke off to reveal very large sandy grains of metal when I was barely tapping it.

Anyway, round spring steel is cheap - like $12-$15 from mcmaster carr to get a piece big enough to easily make two holdfasts. I really like that no matter how hard I beat it, I have no worries.

FTR, for those of you who use wood benches with thin hardwood tops (I have a beech bench with 1 inch or 1.25 inches of top thickness), the gramercy holddowns work fine. Actually, they work extremely well.

Tools for Working Wood has recently put up some very useful tips on using the Gramercy Holdfasts:
    http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...tml&BlogID=251

My ash bench top is about 4" thick and the Gramercy don't work that well...even after roughing them up with sand paper. I'm a little hesitate to counter bore the holes from the bottom so I've been using the Veritas hold down. It works fine.

I remember when Joel @Gramercy was making his prototypes of his holdfasts and most say they are the best I have two sets of HF holdfasts I got for less than $5 a set and they work fine but do have a very very short reach..

If I used them a lot like I think you might I would visit Joel's store http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource