Thread: Do I need a cordless impact driver?

Do I need a cordless impact driver?

I have two excellent cordless drills: a Bosch 14.4 and the new 12 volt Festool with the three chucks. I make furniture and I fix broken stuff but I'm not a carpenter or other tool using pro. I played with some cordless impact drivers at the Detroit Woodworks show a few weeks ago and they are really neat. They are also on sale at Amazon. Do I need one? If I do, do I need the 12 volt or the 14? I'm hopeless!

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Mark,

What a silly question, of course you need one. It is important that all of us help boost the economy . I had the same quandry after seeing the new Bosch 14.4 volt at IWF in Atlanta. I promptly ordered one knowing I would have a need for it in the neer future. When that day arives one needs to be prepared.
    Pull the triger and order it.

Brian

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    What Brian said, Silly question,
    Pretty Nice tool. I've had the Makita 14V Impact driver for about 9 months and don't leave home with out it. Liked it so much I bought a bunch for my crew at work. Solid, comfortable grip, well balanced.
    Two cute little LEDs to illuminate the work sight.
    IMO it doesn't replace the VSRD for feathering a controlled hole boring.
    Quick disconnect chuck and a wide assortment of bits and attachments, including a keyless chuck to snug up on small diameter bits.
    You gotta have one
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-17-2004 at 4:10 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I don't have one, but a buddy of mine does and we used it a bunch when we were going to junkyards pulling parts from cars and trucks for our various automobile projects. It worked so good I want one of my own, but its just another tool in a list of tools I want to get. I'd say get one!

Chuck

Ok. I went ahead and ordered the impact driver only because you guys told me it was a necessity. I'm also copying your responses and saving them to show my wife when she tries to brain me. Remember, my probable concussion is on your hands.

Mark

Mark

I got the Makita 12v unit a year ago and use it all of the time. I even used it once to loosen the lug nuts on my wife's Audi. It strained a bit and the battery needed recharging after the first wheel but it spun the nuts off.

I would probably put it around 75 on the list of worthwhile inventions in the history of mankind.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blumer
    Ok. I went ahead and ordered the impact driver only because you guys told me it was a necessity. I'm also copying your responses and saving them to show my wife when she tries to brain me. Remember, my probable concussion is on your hands.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

if you ordered the Makita this promo might be interesting for your.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Christian, you beat me to it! IIRC, that promotion runs thru 12/31. Looks like a good deal to me!

By the way, I bought a Panasonic 12v impact driver a couple of months ago....simply unbeatable for driving screws, lag bolts, anything like that. Noiser than all get out, but darned effective. Wouldn't be without one now.