Tim,

I have a 6" Delta. Would it be nice to have an 8" (or better yet a 12"or 16") SURE WOULD!

But when you question "what is good enough for a hobbiest", it really comes down to your usage/workstyle.

Like I said, I'd love to have larger, but both shop space and my pocket book have kept me from it. Yet, having a 6" has not kept me from completing my projects!

In general, I find the number of boards over 6" to not be a problem. Table tops and door panels are about the only usage for big boards...for me. And I've found plenty of ways to deal with them.

I guess what I'm getting at is that what someone wants isn't always a need. And since you asked a group of "enthusiast", I'd be shocked if you get many that would reccomend a "starter" size...meaning as a lot of folks get more and more into their woodworking, they do upgrade to a larger size at some point.

Ask your self: "do I have the interest, time, space and money?" If they are all yes's, go for it (DJ20)! If you ahve any No's, then pick up a decent 6" and save the money for other things (wood, other tools, etc ).

Regards,
M.J.

P.S. The cry once rule has actually turned out true for me in most instances...meaning if money is the only "no" answer, find a way to get past it and you'll be happier in the long run.