Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for the lost laser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for the lost laser

I have been looking for years for a cutting laser that's powerful enough to get through around 2mm of titanium, yet can still be used in raster mode for engraving of 3D texture and for marking and deep engraving on metal. In the past, it seemed to always be a high powered CO2 laser, the size of a room, fed only by G-code for cutting, or a small CO2 or YAG for marking with no capability to cut metal. There seems to be no laser that I've found that can bridge that gap. I have a YAG welding laser, which has power to blast right through a nickel, but it maxes out at 20 pulses per second (or about 4 PPS at that power) so won't work well for cutting or especially engraving. I also have a Universal sealed CO2 that does a great job on wood, but not enough umph to get through metal. It would seem I need around 400 watts in the conventional CO2 route to do what I need.

I have recently seen a fiber laser at a jewelry show. They have a crazy small spot size, (.0003") so we were able to deeply engrave a titanium ring (about .030" deep) with a 20 watt laser. They run at something like 200kHz and are meant for marking metal or cutting fine stuff like stents. I am having that laser company do their homework to see if they could produce the laser I want. It would take a galvo head and being able to tie it to a rotary axis for cutting. For some reason, nobody else has seemed to do it. It seems like such a thing would be in a lot of demand. Fiber lasers are unbelieveably efficient (like 35%) and plug into the wall and are air cooled. It's a whole different ballgame when those become more popular.

I used to work on a 1500 watt CO2 laser, so I've seen what it takes to cut bike tubes. With a fiber laser, it might only be something like 80 watts or thereabouts. It doesn't seem to be such a tough thing to do, but I guess there are technical reasons having to do with frequencies that work best for certain applications.

Has anyone had experience with a laser that can bridge the gap?
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Bruce,

Unless I have misunderstood your post - it may be that the gap you are trying to bridge is too wide (a car that can compete in Indy or F1 yet still be able to pull a trailer).

Why not consider two machines ?

Paul.

Paul, excellent post and I absolutely agree with you. Practically impossible have high quality CUTTING and ENGRAVING in one laser.

Quote Originally Posted by paul mott View Post
    Why not consider two machines ?
    What he said.

Seems like for the kind of money it will take to get the cutting capability you want, the salesman might throw in a decent "engraving laser" (low/mid-power CO2) for free.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, why to me sales managers offer only rubber mats for my car as addition I also want laser, even low powered

The cutting lasers I've seen are generally in the area of $150K + They also need lots of power like 3 phase 460 volts, take consumables in the form of CO2, Nitrogen, and Helium, and are generally huge machines. I don't have the room or the power for one of those. I have my shop in my home. I don't know if a sealed CO2 can get the power I need. I haven't seen such an animal.

The fiber lasers in 40 watts are around $60K, and it will do a lot of what I am looking to do. They are weak on cutting through the 2mm titanium though. I just hate to spend that kind of money and still not be the final answer. I would rather spend $80 or so and be done with it if there's a machine that can do it. My Universal does a good job with Cermark, but it's not that durable and gets worn off rings over time. I'd like a better marking solution that does deep etching and do away with the ceramic. I just have never found a cutting solution at anything near an affordable price and one that's made for small stuff and that I can power with 220V. It seems redundant to own 4 lasers, all with slightly different characteristics.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Don't know about lasering titanium as it burns just like magnesium. When we machined it at GE we had to have special fire extinguishers by the machine at all times. They had 4 in the building and if they were in use you did not even turn your machine on. you could be fired on the spot if the extinguisher was not there and you were cutting.
    rich

It cuts pretty well with a laser. I used to cut bike tubes of it. It can use an argon shield gas but it's not necessary. Only thin chips will burn.
    Boone Titanium Rings

Blog Entries
    Bruce,

Good to see you on the boards (again)... still loving my ring

I think what you're running into when you say "in demand" falls short when you add in the money factor. As you've already noted, fiber lasers are still quite pricey, particularly for the garage mechanic. I would love nothing more than to cut 1/8" metal with an all-in-one machine, but adding another $80k machine to do so means I would need to be aiming for that specific market. Your business model fits that nicely, but most would not want to limit themselves to a few mm of cutting capability... if they spend that kind of dough on a machine, they don't want to limit their capabilities (i.e., jobs).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I've only recently learned about fiber lasers, but from what I've seen, they should make CO2 obsolete very shortly. Solid state, no cooling, 100,000 hour life expectancy, 35% or so efficient, tighter beam, etc. They are just high tech enough that I'm not comfortable making it myself. I've built 4 lasers and have the mirrored ruby rod and flashlamp for a ruby laser yet to be built. I've been into lasers since middle school. The fiber lasers are such a perfect idea; a long thin lasing medium with plenty of chances to have the light reflect and excite the right atoms; long and thin means it expels heat effectively. They can also use more than one diode to fire them, so power can easily be multiplied. It seems like this will be the answer I'm looking for, but the applications lab needs to catch up a bit.
    Boone Titanium Rings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    I've only recently learned about fiber lasers, but from what I've seen, they should make CO2 obsolete very shortly.
    Not likely, at least not anytime soon. The issue is with the wavelength... the 10.6um of CO2 works great with organics (wood, plastics, etc.), but is mostly reflected by metals. The wavelength of fiber at around 1um, however, is readily absorbed by metals but hardly touches most organics (a few plastics are readily marked by fiber).

Now, if they figure out how to get a fiber coating to lase at 10um (give or take), then we'll talk...

cutting titanium

It cuts very well with a plasma torch, and a torchmate or similar can be had for reasonable costs.

Blog Entries
    A plasma torch doesn't have nearly the same quality nor resolution of cut as a laser.

The cut of a fiber laser is awesome. I believe Epson has one now. I still think they will take over the CO2 market soon enough when costs come down. They are bound to as there's not much to them; just an LED and a fiber for the smaller ones. No perfectly mixed gasses, high voltage, coolant lines, and perfectly aligned mirrors for the resonating chamber. They don't wear out or have to be refilled. The wavelength isn't that much of an issue when the power density is that good. Still plenty of power for stuff like wood and plastics, even in a 10 watt machine. The keyboards of computers are done with that wavelength. They are so fast that the whole thing is done in like a quarter second or so. That's with galvo mirrors though.

You would suppose that it would be as simple as hooking up a more powerful fiber laser to an existing XY table. Maybe it's not that simple.
    Boone Titanium Rings

Blog Entries
    Here's one way to prove it to yourself. Use a 30W CO2 system and cut some 1/8" plywood... now do the same with a 30W fiber system (assuming the fiber will even cut through that wood with any precision without significant charring). Neglecting the fact that the fiber system costs 5 times as much as the equivalent power CO2 system, I think you'll see why current fiber systems cannot even begin to compare to CO2 systems for a wide range of materials.

Wavelength plays a huge role, and it simply cannot be ignored. I've toyed with purchasing a fiber system (or at least modifying my current CO2 carriage to hold a fiber when I need the capability, which would be significantly less expensive since the only purchase would be the fiber/power system and some home-machined holders for the fiber at the carriage), but it's so low on the priority list I can't be much bothered with it other than occasionally Googling systems for daydreaming material.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that fiber systems do wear out. As with all semiconductors, the drive diodes have a finite lifetime and lose power over time. It is the same quantum mechanism used as in LEDs, which do not have the promised 100,000 hour lifetime the marketing geeks would like for us to believe. I cannot say I've looked into the lifetime of the frequency-shifting phosphors in the fiber itself, but the drive diodes definitely have a measurable lifetime.
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 09-09-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fiber wear