Thread: Portable Shop Radio

Portable Shop Radio

I am in the market for one of those portable radio/cd players that HD and Lowes carry - mainly for contractors. Anybody have one and want to share your experience?

I have the Dewalt and have no complaints. Saves me the space of having a separate charger for my 18v Dewalt packs out on the counter in the shop. It will also run a LONG time on a fully charged 18v pack. Sound quality and radio reception is great, aux plug for an Ipod works as it should. It does everything I expected it to do when I bought it... Can't really ask much more.

+1 on the DeWalt, but I think that a lot of this might be driven by which brand, if any, of tools/batteries you already own.

I have the DC011, so it will only charge older (pre LiIon) batteries. There is a new one out: the DC102. It is more expensive, but will charge LI-IONs as well as NI-Cads, has a digital tuner, a built-in power strip, and a better back-up battery (my DC011 eats AA batteries). One downside: the DC011 has a nice little weather-resistant box for an MP3 player on the side; the DC102 does not.

If you aren't heavily invested in any particular brand of tool/battery, Milwaukee makes a very cool little jobsite radio that can run off of their M12 batteries. It has a compartment for an iPod/MP3 player. It does NOT charge the batteries though (what were they thinking?).

+1 again on the DeWalt.

I have the DC011, and it's a workhorse. But I also have DeWalt drills, saws, and flashlights, so it was a natural for me. YMMV.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

While it won't charge batteries, I have the older Milwaukee model that has Rockford Fosgate speakers- it sounds fantastic! If you run it off batteries, be warned that all that volume and bass come at the price of run time. Even with freshly charged 18V batts I would be surprised if it lasts 2 hours. All my cordless tools are Makita, but the little radio they have (in my opinion) stinks.

The Bosch radio is extremely nice and has a built in CD player. A guy I work with has it and we all like it, just pricey

I have the Bosch power box, and I really like it for several reasons:

1. It will recharge my Bosch batteries.

2. It will run off my Bosch batteries.

3. It has a CD player.

4. It has a GCFI and four sockets..

I often use it when I am working in the yard, both as entertainment and as a power strip to power various tools with one extension cord. I bought it before iPods and MP3's were prevalant, and if there was one thing, I would like to be able to patch my iPod directly in (maybe the current ones versions can -- I don't know). I think I have seen adapters for them advertised.

The thing is a beast. I have never treated it well, and it has always been there for me.

Oh, one complaint -- the clock sucks rocks.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I have had the Ridgid since it came out, no complaints here. The ability to charge the batteries isn't of much value to me since I only use it in the shop or outdoors and don't have any Ridgid tools anymore.

I have the Bosch as well. I use it in the yard, garage and woodshop. It would charge Bosch batteries and run off of them if I had any. My son hooks up his ipod to it somehow through the AUX feature. I mostly use the radio and CD features. The clock is never right.

LOL. Here's my idea of a portable shop radio!

Greg

Nothing like a horn... makes more sound than a router with less than 1 watt!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roberts View Post
    LOL. Here's my idea of a portable shop radio!

Greg

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My experience with the Milwaukee radio's has been different than Mike's; I've had two of them and was disappointed in both. The only reason that I bought the second one was because I figured that the first one was defective - wrong!

The sound quality is poor, the volume "jumps" around as your turning it up and down, and the reception is not that great either.

Since I had other Milwaukee tools, the radio was a natural fit (same battery).

My brother has one of the Bosch radio's in his shop and is very pleased with it. The sound from it is fantastic.

Ipod plus earmuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Nothing like a horn... makes more sound than a router with less than 1 watt!
    It doesn't charge batteries though!

Greg

Ipod with a set of Bose speakers that came with a laptop works really good and sounds great.

I have the Makita "BMR100W 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless FM/AM Job Site Radio". I like it's form factor, and it's tough enough (I accidentally pushed it off a bench and it fell three feet to concrete with zero damage). What I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't charge the battery, just plays off it. I also don't like that there's no bass/treble adjustment. It seems set at a very high bass level that becomes even more annoying with ear protection on, which seems to allow only the bass through. Since I have the Makita cordless tool set, I want a Makita radio to charge their batteries, but this one falls a little short.