Thread: Primer to seal green logs?

Primer to seal green logs?

A friend has given me a bunch of maple logs.

I can order some Anchorseal, but I have some old Latex primer in my basement that I'd like to use instead. Anyone done this?

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Most water based paints are based on an acrylic (or polyurethane) resin while Anchorseal is actually a wax emulsion (tiny droplets of wax, coated with a surfactant, such as soap, suspended in water). Its better for sealing but the primer should be reasonable. I myself melt wax (carefully!) in a dedicated pan and then brush it on the ends. A bit messy but effective.
    Last edited by Norm Zax; 10-07-2010 at 9:58 AM.

I would think that the moisture might lift some of the primer off the log.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

A very inexpensive, but extremely messy temp fix is roofing tar/cement. It is really sticking and water tight, but doesnt really set up hard and stays tacky. If you coat it with roofing tar, be prepared to but a plastic bag over the tar to keep it off everything else!.

Regular latex paint can be used but I believe you will have to give it several coats.

I know that there are several people (expecially in my local turning club) that dont like spending the money on Anchorseal, but I believe the ease of use, less mess and overall cost makes is worth the price... to me.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wax will virtually stop drying, Anchorseal will slow down drying, latex primer will slow down drying only a little. Which one works for you will depend on drying conditions and how long the wood will be stored.

If they are in log form, the latex will work BUT you will still have some checking which can be cut back when you are ready. As long as the pith remains you run that chance regardless if anchorseal is used or not.

I used paint or primer when I first started before I heard of anchorseal. It worked in a fashion fairly well but it did crack more than when using anchorseal. Anchorseal is your best bet but I would definitely use the primer till I got some.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I as well think Anchorseal is the best. I bought a 5 gallon pail over the internet with free shipping and it wasn't that expensive.

However, before that I would use elmers glue diluted with water. I read about it somewhere and tried it before I got the anchorseal. It worked pretty well but a bit messy.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.