Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CNC or Tablesaw

CNC or Tablesaw

After a multi-year hiatious in woodworking due to lack of a suitable shop, I finally have some space to work.

As I organize the space - building storage and installing a dust collector, I'm reminded that my old table saw is a horrible machine...really bad fence and a blade that wanders from 90 degrees.

I want to build a CNC router and explore how it can be used in building furniture - but...I've been trying to decide whether I purchase a new TS first...then the router. Or do I go for the router first?

With a CNC router, is the table saw still the center of the shop? Or with a CNC router, does the focus change? For those that have had a CNC router for a while, what are the other tools that get heavy use?

I've been looking at the SawStop PCS - but do I stick with a really bad table saw and invest in CNC first?

i will not post a pic of my slit in two thumb!! i just love my cnc

3. I guess it up to what your building. I would go with the tablesaw, planer, bandsaw 6x48 sander, CNC.. this way you can make some nice stock to fit in your CNC..

Brandon
    Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 11-28-2010 at 4:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    i will not post a pic of my slit in two thumb!! i just love my cnc
    I'll admit a fondness for my digits...hence the interest in the stopsaw. Do you find that your CNC means you don't need your TS? Or you just use it less?

I use both the CNC and my table saw, a table saw is cheaper so I would get that first or use what you have, maybe make a new fence it's your call. Having a CNC router will take you to the next level in your woodworking, I really like my machines for 3D work, cutting dadoes, making cabinets etc etc.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Table saw by all means. If you are going to do woodworking you need a table saw.

we are a large custom shop, 6 stations and 7 table saws from scmi slider, left tilt unisaws in the middle and 10" portables for installation. after cutting my thumb twice in one year

i just love my cnc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart A Reid View Post
    After a multi-year hiatious in woodworking due to lack of a suitable shop, I finally have some space to work.

As I organize the space - building storage and installing a dust collector, I'm reminded that my old table saw is a horrible machine...really bad fence and a blade that wanders from 90 degrees.

I want to build a CNC router and explore how it can be used in building furniture - but...I've been trying to decide whether I purchase a new TS first...then the router. Or do I go for the router first?

With a CNC router, is the table saw still the center of the shop? Or with a CNC router, does the focus change? For those that have had a CNC router for a while, what are the other tools that get heavy use?

I've been looking at the SawStop PCS - but do I stick with a really bad table saw and invest in CNC first?
    There is no substitute for a good tablesaw. Get the Sawstop first, build your business, then the CNC.

There are wants and needs. You need a tablesaw, you want a CNC. It is faster to cut a rectangle or a square on a good table saw then it is a CNC. If you are going to be building furniture, I recommend a good band saw as well. I built many pieces of furniture for the company I worked for using CNC, however, the hub of the shop was and still is tablesaws, bandsaws, and good finishers.

Also when you say furniture, do you mean tables, chairs and sofas, or do you mean case work?

Yes we had a Sawstop as well, and thankfully, it has never had to do what it was intended to do.

If you do not need to make money, then get yourself a CNC by either buying or building.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

As guy mentioned, there are plenty of operations that a table saw is just better at, or that you can't do on a CNC.

Get the table saw.

My Position

Once again I find myself on the opposite end of the discussion. It is a very rare occasion when I use my table saw, I use my CNC machines regularly.

The reason is based on the type of work that I do which dictates the best machine for the job. Based on my experience you can't answer the question of which machine to purchase first until you have decided on the type of work you intend to pursue. It would be difficult to make signs with a table saw but it is easy to make a variety of signs with a CNC machine. The reverse could easily be true depending on the type of work you do.

I will admit that the average woodworking shop has to have a table saw and it is generally the center of everyday operations.....average being the operative word

Over the last 35 years I can honestly say that every sanding machine I own has been in constant use, this hasn't changed since I purchased my first CNC Router and it has been true no matter what type of projects I have designed and fabricated. My band saw is now the saw that I use most often, that is unlikely to ever change. I have learned based on several band saw upgrades that the better the quality of the band saw I own the more it is used.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-28-2010 at 9:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    If you do not need to make money, then get yourself a CNC by either buying or building.

Guy
    I'm off to the looney bin.

Best quote of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Once again I find myself on the opposite end of the discussion. It is a very rare occasion when I use my table saw, I use my CNC machines regularly.

The reason is based on the type of work that I do which dictates the best machine for the job. Based on my experience you can't answer the question of which machine to purchase first until you have decided on the type of work you intend to pursue. It would be difficult to make signs with a table saw but it is easy to make a variety of signs with a CNC machine. The reverse could easily be true depending on the type of work you do.

I will admit that the average woodworking shop has to have a table saw and it is generally the center of everyday operations.....average being the operative word

Over the last 35 years I can honestly say that every sanding machine I own has been in constant use, this hasn't changed since I purchased my first CNC Router and it has been true no matter what type of projects I have designed and fabricated. My band saw is now the saw that I use most often, that is unlikely to ever change. I have learned based on several band saw upgrades that the better the quality of the band saw I own the more it is used.

i am with kieth, i would rather have a cnc and a portable table saw than a great table saw and no cnc

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

Keith -

It was a similar comment that you made in a Sawstop debate that got me onto this train of thought. Can a CNC largely replace a table saw?

A few extra details that factor into my planning...

1. This is strickly a hobby. I have no intention of making money through woodworking.
    2. Speed of work is somewhat important - I have two small kids and a busy job so hobby time is limited.
    3. I'm keen to build tables, dressers, chairs, etc. And very curious how to use a CNC to assist. I'm a nut for precision - so CNC is appealing.
    4. My shop is very small. I have to be very careful about my equipment purchases so that I still have room to work.

I'm curious how your bandsaw / CNC incorporate into your workflow?

Stuart

While a band saw can't do everything a table saw can, I'd take a band saw over a table saw any day. Particularly since any large MDF or particle board I need cut up I can get Lowes to do for free.

I agree with most here. a tablesaw for furniture. yes you can do most things on a cnc but it can be slower and more of a hassle. Plus if you want precision your going to pay for it.
    Plus it may be far slower too. it also takes up a lot more room.
    but you can use it for a jointer/planer combo with not a lot of effort.
    you can buy most of a shop for the cost of a entry level cnc that will do real work
    Steve knight
    cnc routing