Thread: Stanley tote w/ brass insert.

Stanley tote w/ brass insert.

I'm in the process of fettling a Stanley #6 type 13 I think ( one patent date, no ring at the front knob and a Sweet Heart blade). The tote and knob were pretty rough so I sanded them smooth and finished with shellac then waxed applied w/4x steel wool. They came out nice.

I smooth the bottom of totes, just a couple of swipes across 100 grit paper. I have something I hadn't seen before. My experience is quite limited. This is only my 5th tote with the 2nd screw. The front screw hole has a brass ring about 1/8" out from the hole.

I assume this is to help prevent splits. I've done older (2 type 11s) and some newer, but haven't seen this before. Comments welcome.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Your tote looks like it might have been split already. This could be part of a repair done by a previous owner.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-29-2010 at 9:31 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think Jim is right. I've never seen that in the wild.

A clever and competent way to repair a split!!!

Well, it's a nice job, that's for sure. There is no visible split when the tote is on the plane. I hope it holds up.

Thanks for your insight. Paul

I'm pretty sure that is factory, either production or experimental. I have seen it on a #4 1/2 before. Is the tote screw the usual dome-head, or is it flat? The one on the 4 1/2 was flat, countersunk.

I have seen that several times but have no idea if that was done at Factory or after market tote company..

I would think it needs to be done before shaping...

If I ever get one with a broken tote I'll have to remember to remove the ring from a better look..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Screw

James, the screw is the usual round headed style.