Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not nearly the fun!

Although I am in colorado where we usualy get pounded with snow in the winter, this has been the mildest fall I can ever remember here, we broke a heat record 2 days ago, hit 70 degrees. Had a very light dusting of snow last night, but it only stuck to the grass and was gone as soon as the sun was up this morning...we have been very lucky so far. My shop is in the basement though so either way I can work on things.

I feel your pain, Roger. If you haven't noticed, I haven't posted a turned item in several months due to a shop 'remodel'. Although I've missed turning for the past few months, this winter it's gonna be 65 in my shop, and the temperature won't change when it's 110 next summer. I'll post some photos when I get the place back up and running... I can almost see the finish line.

JD,

I have been thinking about insulating mine. Of course that would mean emptying it out first [a major undertaking] and then I would also have to put some kind of ceiling board on the bottoms of the trusses. My shop is a small 14' X 20' outdoor shed, and then I have another 10' X 12' building behind it with some more storage, where I keep wood [flat boards, plywood, and some turning blanks]

My problem is that I have the 4" pvc piping for my dust collection run overhead between the roof and the bottom of the trusses, in the space between top and bottom members of the trusses. That would mean I would have to find a way to run the pipe along the wall, which in my shop is not a good option, with the way I have everything configured.
    I hope to build a much larger shop in the future, but have some higher priority issues for the available $$$$ at this time, so I will live with it for now, not ideal I know, but I have dealt with it this long.

Your shop sounds like it is going to be a real nice hangout for a wood working guy!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Rob,

I have the same space issue as you........not enough space for my tools! I do use them all, just have to pull them out in the yard when I get into some heavy woodworking, like building cabinets for a kitchen or bath..........but at least they are protected and dry!
    Sounds just like my shop and my solution. I have a wide and long concrete drive I work in when its nice out. Other then that I back out my riding mower and move the table saw to the center and at least I can get to my lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I feel your pain, Roger. If you haven't noticed, I haven't posted a turned item in several months due to a shop 'remodel'. Although I've missed turning for the past few months, this winter it's gonna be 65 in my shop, and the temperature won't change when it's 110 next summer. I'll post some photos when I get the place back up and running... I can almost see the finish line.
    David,

That is fantastic! I really like to hear when woodworkers finally get their shops the way they want. Congratulations! If I were not so happy for you, I could be just a little envious [no, not really] I look forward to the production you start sending out of that fine establishment! By the way, Merry Christmas to you, your lovely wife and your beautiful children!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mathis View Post
    Sounds just like my shop and my solution. I have a wide and long concrete drive I work in when its nice out. Other then that I back out my riding mower and move the table saw to the center and at least I can get to my lathe.
    Rob,

Just think of what we could accomplish if we had a full sized shop [say 36'X 42'] and had heat and A/C in it ?!!! I have built a set of kitchen cabinets in that little building, and a set of bath cabinets as well. Of course other things like gun cabinet, book cases, tables, blanket chest, etc.

I will be happy just to be able to use any machine without having to move 15 things before hand........it is like a rubick's cube, and very inefficient.

Well today is the second day that the roads are open and school busses are running. for the 3 days prior to that we were blocked in and for about 6 hours no electricity. So far this winter we have had 4' of snow on the shores of Georgian Bay. When the wind comes in from the north or north west in early winter when the water is still fairly warm we get what they call "lake effect" snow and this year so far we have had a chunk of it, but no worry it is warm in the shop and turning is comfortable. habour.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

Dirk,
    I got cold just reading your post! I guess I have it pretty good down here in the mid-atlantic!

I'm in Oh.just north of Akron.We got hit preety good this week with snow snow snow and cold..my shop is in the basement with a walk out door .68* winter and summer just comfy for working.You guys with open stud ceilings cover the rafters with 2 layers of 6 or 8 mil plastic one going in each direction.You can put bat or blown in insulation on top and around you dust ducts no problem did it to a buddy's shop when I was in NM. worked great.
    Hope this helps
    Woodspinner

It was a pretty chilly 60 for the high hear today. If we get to much more of this winter I am going to have to go further south. Burrr winter in South Texas.

Looking forward to spring

Alan

Sorry guys I am in summer mode and looking forward to some beach time.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/a...on/Weather.asppartly_cloudy.gif
    neil

The wooden Potter

Hmmmm... barely and hour NORTH of you and got about 25% of the snow you did. If it gets too much for you, you are more than welcome to come to my place.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, I complain about the small size of my basement "shop", but the temp extremes make me glad it's part of the controlled-temp living space. Installed a pellet stove in the basement a month or two back and it keeps the entire basement an even temp... I have it set to 75, which tends to keep the upstairs in the low 70's. Very comfy for a guy like me who gets cold easily (hands cramp up in the high 60s).

I think we got an inch or two here yesterday, not enough to worry about shoveling out of the way, and the roads are mostly clear at this point.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Alaska

Itnis getting down to the single digits here in Alaska. My shop is attached to.the house (Via the garage) and it is heated. The only down fall is that it full of household goods while the rest of the florring for the house arrives. I have a Jet 1642 2hp on order to help fill the shop up. I closed on my old house this week. It is like torture wairing for all the final pieces to fall into place. But to answer the question....My shop will be heated and attaced.l
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Heated floor mat

What about one of these heated floor mats. Heck put it on a timer so it's hot when you show up after a cup o' joe.
    238149_1wco.gif