Thread: Where to buy 0-1 stock?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've only seen English steel from MSC,Enco,and Victor(except for the antique Brown and Sharp W1 I bought from Victor.) I don't recall getting German steel from anyone. P.S.,I mentioned finding a pallet load of 01 at the junkyard,which I bought a BUNCH of(unfortunately all thick stuff,like 3/4" and similar). It is Simmonds. Must have been around for quite a while. Probably/possibly the result of some warehouse getting rid of material that hadn't sold within a certain time. Our warehouse in Col. Wmsbg. did the same thing,getting rid of hundreds of pounds of steam valves(which they may sorely miss),ALL their motor bearings(the day after they were tossing them,the main air conditioning motor in the administration bldg. burned out its bearings!!!!)
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-20-2010 at 1:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I've only seen English steel from MSC,Enco,and Victor(except for the antique Brown and Sharp W1 I bought from Victor.) I don't recall getting German steel from anyone. P.S.,I mentioned finding a pallet load of 01 at the junkyard,which I bought a BUNCH of(unfortunately all thick stuff,like 3/4" and similar). It is Simmonds. Must have been around for quite a while. Probably/possibly the result of some warehouse getting rid of material that hadn't sold within a certain time. Our warehouse in Col. Wmsbg. did the same thing,getting rid of hundreds of pounds of steam valves(which they may sorely miss),ALL their motor bearings(the day after they were tossing them,the main air conditioning motor in the administration bldg. burned out its bearings!!!!)
    I'm never in the right place for all of these discards! You could put that 3/4" steel in the mill and make a 10 pound smoothing plane.

(I wouldn't know what to do with 3/4" steel, either)