View Poll Results: Which did you spend the most on?

Voters
1162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band Saw

122 10.50%
  • Dust Collector

58 4.99%
  • Drill Press

4 0.34%
  • Jointer

50 4.30%
  • Lathe

200 17.21%
  • Planer

77 6.63%
  • Sander/Surfacer

43 3.70%
  • Shaper

9 0.77%
  • Table Saw

506 43.55%
  • Other

93 8.00%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

I voted other for my Felder J/P used for $5500. 20" with digidrive, barely used, it actually was a real steal.

I have to vote for the Worksharp 3000. Sure, the tool is only $62, but after all the excitement this week I may have to replace my worn out computer...
    Last edited by Michael Gaynes; 12-31-2010 at 1:57 AM.

Based on purchase price sans accessories, it's my Powermatic PM64 6" jointer, American made, bought used for $400.

Next was my Delta Contractor's Saw (base model, American made) bought new at just under $400, but adding the accessories (Incra TS-II, router table, EZ Off, Uni-Guard, mobile base, etc...) pushes it hard to the top. Aside from a pair of push pads, the only accessory the Jointer has is a mobile base.

Or it could be my Lie-Nielsen Scrub Plane. The plane itself wasn't too expensive, but the 6 weeks on the motorcycle to get to their place in Maine cost a bundle.

As did the tortuous ride back....

Too bad I couldn't have claimed it as a business expense.

It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    From the outside looking in turning seems more like a black hole, I don't even see photons escaping!
    But it is an amazing black hole! I can't even describe how it fullfills this raw artistic need inside of me. It's truly an amazing experience, and totally worth every red cent! It's really this amazing blend of raw power tool in harmony with handtools, and the most delicate forms and shapes come out of it. I think you need to wade in the waters Van! You already have the bandsaw for the whole experience! Come on in... the water is warm
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    But it is an amazing black hole! I can't even describe how it fullfills this raw artistic need inside of me. It's truly an amazing experience, and totally worth every red cent! It's really this amazing blend of raw power tool in harmony with handtools, and the most delicate forms and shapes come out of it. I think you need to wade in the waters Van! You already have the bandsaw for the whole experience! Come on in... the water is warm
    Actually it will be my wife that wades into that shark infested pond first, she is the artist and has been talking on and off about lathes. We would have a Nova if my shop was up and built but as it is she decided to wait. Even though I don't plan any turning I am already looking at Oneways and 3520Bs because I know it will end up there someday, might as well get poor fast and not drag out the pain... Oh and I need a better chainsaw and a better grinder and and and...

Haha, nice Van! I honestly thought about the Nova, for a brief second. Then I ordered the the PM 3520B, I have to say it is one sweet machine. The outboard capacity of 38" is probably bigger than I will ever need. It's a great machine and worth every dollar. Oneways are beautiful machines too, though if I was going to go above the cost of the 3520, I was just going to save for a Robust American Beauty. Without a doubt the Cadillac of lathes. If you think about the oneways, I'd take a moment to consider the Robust, their owners have Nothing but praise for them, they are definitely the heavy weights.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I was wondering when this thread would stray...
    I drink, therefore I am.

haha, it's always me that causes it too!

My Delta 46-460 lathe was about $580 (taxes included). My TS3660 tablesaw was about $450 and my Grizzly 6" jointer was about $400. That's the most I've spent on new tools. I tend to buy when I can find a really good discount or I buy used off Craigslist where the majority of my tools have come from.

I would like to buy a tablesaw and I'm fully prepared to drop 3large on a new Unisaw but I need a dedicated shop for that. I don't want to have to move a Unisaw all over the place.

Rick, good thing you and I live 1000 miles apart...we could get in/cause a LOT of trouble.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Haha! Mike, I think we already do cause a lot of trouble! By the way this isn't getting the thread back on track

Probably my Dewalt/Clausing table saw. I bought it new for $600.00(or was it $400.00) in 1964. In today's money,that is more like $4000.00-$6000.000,but it was American made!!!

So far my biggest purchase is the Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw, but I'm not done yet. Luckily I picked up $2200 of Onieda Cyclone DC and parts for $125 at auction, so the new DC won't make the list.

479!!!! We're almost at 500...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Oh, come on! 492, really? Are we really gonna fall short by 8 lousy votes?
    I drink, therefore I am.