I have 4 cherry crotches. They are 2 inches thick, 72 inches long and range from 18 to 24 inches wide from the smallest to the largest width, meaning each piece varies from end to end. I am wanting to make myself a coffee table and 2 end tables out of 2 pieces and then make another set to sell.

They are about dried and I am getting ready to pull out the lignomat moisture meter to make sure, over the years the pieces have checked a little here and there. The following are thoughts that I have had about to fix some of the checking and would appreciate feeback as to design and fixing of the checks. I have thought about making cherry legs to go on it but not real sure of the design that I would want. Our living room is going to be finsihed with a sort of "natural" theme, with hardwood floors and alot of woodwork.

I am wanting to take a router and cut out maybe 1/4 of an inch deep around the checks and then use other cherry to make a piece to replace what I cut out. I am also open to other fillers. I am also thinking maybe of just using cherry sawdust and glue as a filler. I have also thought about cutting out a design and making a replacemnt out of a different kind of wood.