Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a splitter have prevented my kickback?

Would a splitter have prevented my kickback?

As a beginner concerned with safe technique, I read with interest Cliff Newton's post and responses (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6789). Glad you're OK Cliff. I didn't want to "hijack" that thread so I'm starting a new post, though it is closely related--apologies if it belonged there. In the spirit of sharing mishaps with the hope that I and others can learn, I present my beginner's kickback tale:

Got a new Grizzly 1023SL and after getting a new subpanel installed in my basement (yikes, that set me back a bit) with some 220V outlets I was quite eager to give it a whirl. I had already aligned the table, fence, etc. after reading some articles on properly aligning a saw, as well as the alignment chapter in Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic, so I figured I was all set. So I pick up a scrap piece of plywood that was around 4" x 6" x 3/4" (I can already hear the groaning) and decided to rip a thin strip off. I should say that both of those long edges were true. For some reason, I thought I'd just remove about 1/4" so I set the fence at around 3 3/4" to the right of the blade, put a featherboard to the left of the piece to push it into the fence (I did keep it behind the blade), picked up a long piece of scrap to use as a pushstick, raised the blade maybe a 1/4" higher than the piece, turned on the saw, pushed the piece through and watched the blade effortlessly start slicing. Then it happened. Just as the cut was finished, I watched the thin strip (i.e. the waste piece) fall into the cabinet through the slit in the insert (the stock one that came with the saw) and then in one instant there was a grinding noise and the rest of the piece just disappeared in a blur and as best as I can tell from the sound behind me, hit the wall and bounced around a bit. Thankfully I didn't get hit because one of the only smart things I did was not stand behind the blade. I'm not entirely sure what happened, and I welcome your thoughts, but my sense is that since I didn't hold the piece down with the pushstick, and only pushed forward with it, the leading part of the piece (the part closer to the back) somehow lifted up after the cut was done, caught the rear of the blade, and got hurled right back at, as Dennis P would say, Mach 3. So if you'll permit me some self-assessment, here is my slightly more educated view of what (I think) I did right and what I did wrong, and please let me know what you think.

Right:
    1. Wore safety glasses.
    2. Stood to the left of the blade.
    3. Used a featherboard and made sure it was just behind the blade.
    4. Used a saw that was properly aligned.

Wrong:
    1. Tried cutting a piece of wood that is pretty small without some special sort of jig. I have read that many do not advocate cutting such a narrow and short piece at all on a TS. I recently bought a Grr-Ripper to help with something like this (it is not my intent to start another Grr-Ripper debate here).
    2. Didn't use a splitter (or blade guard). Got the microjig splitter now, but my main question is--would a splitter have prevented this?
    3. Didn't keep downward pressure as I cut. I now realize that is very important. A Grr-ripper, an auxilliary fence with a featherboard pushing down, or a proper pushstick would probably all help.
    4. Used a bad pushstick--basically leading to 3 above. In fact it's possible that pushing down on the piece with that pushstick caused that leading part to lift up.
    5. Didn't use a zero clearance insert, which let that waste part fall down--not sure if that contributed, but I now have a zero clearance insert.

-Rob

Rob, sorry to hear that you're already learning the hard way. Glad to hear you were not hurt! I think your assesments are pretty accurate.

I would contribute the waste "kick" mostly due to the lack of a zero clearance insert. However, I'm not sure I understand if you paced your featherboard correctly. If your featherboard is behind the blade, or behind the cut, it is forcing the waste peice against the blade, and the back of the blade, thus pinching it. This is what a splitter will prevent. (The pinching).

As for a push stick, what you're using sounds inadequate. By pushing with a stick, it allows the back of your peice to lift off the table. The Grr-Ripper would prevent this, or a push stick that also holds down your peice. Or even a featherboard on the fence that holds your peice against the table.

So your question on the splitter... I don't think that is why it kicked. And yes, it is safer... Hurry up and install that MicroJig! (Oh, and the dust collector ) And count those ten fingers one more time...
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Thanks for the input Scott--I realize now I was not being clear. I should have written that I had the featherboard just in front of the blade. And yes, I'll install that splitter before doing any more ripping!
    -Rob

Rob, the 6" length of the board is too short to use with just a push stick. No splitter would have helped I suspect since the distance from the front of the blade (start of cut) and the splitter is usually more than 6". The Gripper or something similar would be the only safe way in my book. Maybe a hold down pushstick? You also may look at your fence alignment to the blade. Some folks use a little larger spacing at the rear of the blade (maybe 1/64") compared to the front to insure there will be no pinching under normal conditions.

Glad you weren't damaged. Hopefully we can learn more from other's quicker than we can make any more mistakes! Even with the Gripper I have blown it! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5785

Blog Entries

I agree!

I am happy to hear that you are unhurt. I think your problem was the result of the thin piece falling through the throat plate. It probably kicked the blade to the right and pinched the piece being cut. I never cut anything on my saw without a zero clearance insert. My "Factory" inserts are hanging on the wall and never get used.

I would also suggest you use a push stick that holds the piece down as well as pushing. You can buy one or make your own, but use one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

this is my favorite pushstick

I've used this "ergonomic" model over the past 5 years since finding it at WoodworkerSupply.

I've gone through a few of them now. Keep one that I use for sacraficially thin peices and one new one at al times. I trust this one so much I've started handing them out for Christmas gifts to my friends who woodwork.

..Jim in Idaho

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=922-377

First I want to say I am glad you were not hurt. I goes to show how important it is to be out of the line of fire. Just to add to what has been said. I witnessed a nasty kick back and while there was no splitter as well as other circumstances which added to the kickback the girl who had it happen stated that she saw a piece of the cutoff fall down into the insert as you describe. She may have been unduly distracted by that and moved the wood away from the fence into the blade causing the kickback. A splitter and proper positioning would have kept it from happening but what seems important is that I don't think we need to worry about the piece on the non-fence side of the blade. Even if it drops through the insert I don't think it poses a danger and we need to more or less ignore that in leiu of watching the piece between the fence and blade. If I am off base here let me know. I think accidents are usually a confluence of factors coming together.

I agree, too!

Rob -

Glad you were not hurt. In your list of "right" things, you give yourself credit for where you were standing. Good!

Your analysis of the events is probably right on the mark. Thanks you for posting and reminding all of us how quickly things can go wrong.

Regards,
    Ted

Rob,

Welcome to the Creek. Glad you came out of it ok. Scary stuff! As others have stated, I think the combination of too small a workpiece, improper pushstick and a little distraction may all have led to your episode. Every day's a school day.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Thanks for all of your suggestions and encouragement!
    -Rob

Rob, you had more than one problem going on....

I believe I read your comments correctly, but as always, the written word can be confusing.

You mention that the featherboard was behind the blade? From and operator point of view, behind the blade would be the far side of it. You do not want to position a feather board anywhere in line with the actual cut when ripping.

Rather, position the feather board in front of the blade (nearest to the operator). If the feather board is in line with the blade, it is in essence pushing the kerf closed against the blade which is going to cause kick back.

Second, and perhaps even more important, is the way you described the cut. It almost seems as though when the off cut fell into the saw, you stopped feeding the keeper piece. Worse yet, is that if you left the keeper piece between the blade and the fence without being under control. This again is a sure fire way to turn the work into a bullet.

I am a GRR-Ripper fan (no surprise to anyone here). When cutting on the table saw (or any machine for that matter), you have to maintain control of the workpiece at all times. The more control you have, the less chance of problems. The GRR-Ripper system is the only device I have used that gives me a tremendous amount of control over the workpiece. With it, I can easily feed work over and past the saw blade while at the same time maintain full control of the work. This control is in 3 directions...

1) Forward to cause the cut
    2) Down against the tables surface (prevents lifting of th part)
    3) Towards the fence to prevent the keeper piece from walking away from it towards the blade.

Take some time to learn more about the GRR-Ripper, frankly, I believe it is the best safety device to come out for woodworkers since safety glasses.

Chris DeHut

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    I am happy to hear that you are unhurt. I think your problem was the result of the thin piece falling through the throat plate. It probably kicked the blade to the right and pinched the piece being cut. I never cut anything on my saw without a zero clearance insert. My "Factory" inserts are hanging on the wall and never get used.

I would also suggest you use a push stick that holds the piece down as well as pushing. You can buy one or make your own, but use one.
    I would not say my "factory" inserts never get used. They are very helpfull in routing new "zero clearance" inserts. BUT that is the only thing they do get used for.

Chris--thanks for the suggestions. As I said in a f/u post, I incorrectly said that I had the featherboard behind the blade--I was confused about terminology--it was in front.

Jason--yes, I had to use the stock insert as a template too, since my zero clearance insert was a little too large to fit into the slot. I also used it to start the cut in the new insert. I'm sure many of you know and use this trick. Even with the blade all the way down, I couldn't fit the new insert into the slot since the flat bottom of the insert hits the blade (I gather there are some that have a groove already made to facilitate this). So I put the stock insert in but lowered it all the way down with the set screws which left a small amount of room that could accommodate the new insert on top of the old one. I clamped it, started the saw, raised the blade into the new insert to get the cut started, stopped the saw, took out the stock insert, put in the new one with its partial kerf, clamped the fence over it (leaving room for the blade obviously) and then made the kerf.

Cross cut sled

One more thing to consider. I rate the safety cross cut sled I built after Dave Knipfer's posting, as one of the most essential devices for the table saw.

In the interest of safety can I post this link?

http://woodworkstuff.net/CCSledA.html

Good luck with the new saw!

I'm glad you're okay Rob. My kickback actually occurred several months ago, but someone recently drudged up my old post. Although mine happened a while back, I'll never forget it. Pretty scary, huh?

I've taken a few protective measures since then in the form of always using my splitter and an improved push shoe device. And I always stand to the left of the blade and I make dang sure no one is standing behind me.