Thread: How do I fix this chair?

How do I fix this chair?

This is my neighbor's mother's chair. It is for a child and may be close to or over 100 years old. The caneing (sp) was done by his sister so I can't touch that.

I don't have a clue how to fix this and told the neighbor so but he insisted I do this based on the strength of a few wood turnings I gave him. I'm embarrassed to say this has been sitting in the shop for over 2 years so as the new year approaches I feel it's time to resolve this.

Thanks,
    Burt
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Oops hit the wrong key, here it is again!
    If it's that old, you might be able to un glue the two lower traverses with water and a inverted clamp. then you will have room to drill out the stubs and retreive the damaged traverse by cutting it between the tressing. Mack a new traverse and fit it in. Yeah I think 2 years is about time, and would be a good surprise to have it back for the new year!

Can you elaborate on removing the lower traverses with water? Do I wrap with wet towels? If they did come out that way, couldn't I remove the damaged ones the same way?

4. The type of glue used 100 years ago just might be reversable with water. So using a syringe with water, you might be able to loosen the glue. For sure this is easier sais than done, but with patience and a couple of repitition you might undo the glue from the leg mortises.

I have used steam from a steam iron and reversible clamps which worked.

What's a reasonable amount of time for the glue to loosen before giving up?

your neighbour wants you to do it as he doesn't want to pay to get it done properly. to do it properly the chair has to come apart. you have 2 broken rungs that can be seen. get him ti give it to someone that knows what they are doing and save yourself some grief .
    that seat is not a cane seat but a splint seat which more than likely won't permit you to use an inverted clamp to get the distance to replace the rung(which in any sense is a backyard way of trying to fix anything)
    the seat will have to be redone
    one can usually knock the joints apart and if difficult steam can be used and you have to get the steam down into the joint to be benificial. drill a small hole(1/16-3/32) alongside of the joint and inject the steam into the hole
    ron

8. I'm not a refinishing expert, but I reversed glue a couple of times before on dovetailed drawers, and an old headboard and the idea is to wet all the glue in that area enough to be able to seperate without twisting the grain. I'd say if the wood grain of the joint is wet through and you can't seperate the joint then the glue might not be reversable. Also remember to wait till the wetness dries out before regluing.

I'm having a senior moment. I have a number of pipe clamps, bessies, irwins and HF. I know I've reversed them in the past but I'm not able to get them reversed. On a better note, after wetting the joints I was able to partially pull the traveres apart but not enough. I'm thinking there may not be any glue in these joints at all but I'd rather use the clamps to inch them apart.

Success! I managed to figure out how to reverse the Irwins but still couldn't separate the legs. Gave it a few not so gentle taps with the dead blow and got them apart.

Many thanks to all the suggestions. It will be a happy day when I can walk the chair over to the neighbors and give it to him!

Burt

11. Good going Burt!

Excellent!

Pictures when it's done?
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    Just a suggestion. Replace the broken pieces with Hickory. It will take the weight a lot better than any other wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute