Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What big chuck to buy for a PM 3520 B? - have a G3 already

What big chuck to buy for a PM 3520 B? - have a G3 already

Please give me some views on what chuck you'd get for a PM 3520 B.

I already have a G3 from a smaller lathe setup. But I want a bigger chuck for this machine.

Based on some advice I've gotten from a friend, I am leaning toward the Oneway Stronghold. What do you think?

I have the stronghold and love it! (two, actually) But since you have the G3 I would stick with the Nova line since their jaws are interchangeable between chucks. Saves some money. When you start turning things that really tax the ability of the 3520 then maybe buy the "odd ball" stronghold.

I also have the Stronghold and a Supernova but Stronghold gets my vote.
    Last edited by Jeff Luedloff; 01-06-2011 at 7:07 PM.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Can't argue with the two already mentioned. Have them both and love them both.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I would say that the Supernova would be sufficient, and as you know you can swap jaws. I have used a Stronghold, and it is a better chuck, but as mentioned, you can save a few bucks staying with the Nova line. I have a G3 and SN2. Anything that flied off my SN chuck was a result of a broken tenon, so I'd say it works just as good.... Not that I have a PM though. Lathe envy.

Stronghold if you are ever going to think big. If that is why you bought the Powermatic, it seems to me that is the best choice. As you walk down the winding road, you may very well buy a number of chucks to use in specific situations. Grizzlys work reasonably well, for $99.

Stronghold here too. I have turned more than a few 20"+ bowls with no problems at all, but I have heard that the Axminster is a fine chuck as well.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Vicmarc makes some good chucks. I have the VM120 and VM100. Then I found out as Dan said the Grizzly $99 chuck is a clone of the VM100 so all the jaws will fit the Grizz. I have 4 of them with different jaws but the VM120 will hold some big wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stronghold

Just for the record, I have an SN2 and two G3's. If I catch a big sale I will probably have another G3.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Vicmarc makes some good chucks. I have the VM120 and VM100. Then I found out as Dan said the Grizzly $99 chuck is a clone of the VM100 so all the jaws will fit the Grizz. I have 4 of them with different jaws but the VM120 will hold some big wood.

I have 3 grizzly chucks also they work great besides 2 of them having all the screw heads stripped out and wasting my time drilling them all out yesterday, they came stripped out very weird 1 was perfect condition other two screws gone bad. grizzly shipped me new screws the day i emailed them so its all good i would recommend them to anyone for the price.

i dont like the stronghold all that much i would have bought a bigger vicmarc instead.

i'm with Bernie on this one. I have a Vicmarc VM100 and a bunch of grizzly clones.
    I also have 2 vm120's. I keep one with standard jaws and one with larger jaws. I have never had a problem with any of them.
    I have used the Oneway's and just don't like them as much. Personal preference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Allen
    I'm using Nova's 2 Super's,1 super2,1 Titan and 2 original Nova's,I like the all if I was going to change I'd diffinatly go to Vicmarc or Axminster .
    Just MHO.
    Harry

I prefer the non-dovetail jaws of the Oneways, and use them almost exclusively, though I have others. The Novas are my least favorite.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have the complete line of Nova chucks and have had no problems what so ever. All the jaws fit all the chucks except for the Titan Power Grip jaws which only fit the Titan. There is a great selection of jaws including those with and without the dovetail. I prefer the dovetail and I have never lost a piece of any size because of the chucks. If I were to do it all over again Nova would still be my choice.
    Bill