Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moved things into new shop

Angry moved things into new shop

new shop not completed yet but yesterday i moved my bench and table saw into it just to see how they fit(you know kids and new toys)they ended up in different positions than i had them in my head,anyhow i had an early night in bed ,got up this morning,coffee then into the shop,almost dropped my cup ,the wife had stayed up late and tidied up the area i had been using to work in and moved everything into my new shop ,it looked like the local tip,now i know that she was trying to help me but i think that i will have to explain to her calmly if i can that my new shop is just that ,its mine and its a workshop it is not to store garden tools and mowers ,its not a potting shed or a bicycle store and its not a storeroom to store excess furniture and brick a brack from the house.my god we do collect some crap around us that i have now got to sort out and dispose of ,on the bright side though after another coffee i will probably have calmed down before the good lady wakes up coffee

You have another place to put the "Non" shop items?

I am surprised that the "Rules" of the new shop where not discussed in advance so there would be no "confusion" as to what when into the shop and what was not welcome.

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the no shop items have a place to go.

Good luck

i can always find a place for none shop items eg,kitchen, bathroom even bedroom at a push ,seriously though looks like i now need a garden shed maybe the first project from my new completed shop

Primal scream acknowledged.
    Been there.
    Thinking points:
    1) Switch to decaffinated.
    2) Say "Thank you...I can take it from here. If I put it away, I'll know how to find it later."
    3) Sort through the tumble and dispose of the stuff that should be gone already.
    4) Then go about the business of putting equipment and materials in their proper place.
    5) This is the happy ending to a project many readers can only dream about.

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 01-09-2011 at 1:43 AM. Reason: the usual

i must try to keep the wife out of the shop from now on ,a while age i arrived home from work to find that she had decided to create a raised flower bed and had gone out to buy some materials ,by the time i arrived home she was at least half done,there were bent nails all over the lawn and worst of all she had cut the cementicious boards with my hand crosscut saw,.it took ages to get it back to good working condition ,i even caught her using a lathe gouge to dig out weeds ,but this is thailand where all tools have multiple uses

i suppose i should have known to educate the wife to the dos and donts of the shop as shees always trying to help!i, i did impress that she must never use any power tools or turn on any machines or to allow any of her relations to do so and never allow the children near the tools,gratefully she has kept to those rules i made them initialy for her own safety

as she along with it seems most thais have no concept of danger whatsoever.she is also very accident prone ,cant remember how many items in shops she has knocked off shelves as she passes .along with numerous other mishaps that seem to happen when she is near but what the hell i would not swap her for a solid gold pig

I would like to see pics of the shop before and during the move in process. I'm looking at bench designs and shop layout to decide where I should put my tools. Workshops are not for mowers,rakes,and garden supplies. You may have to build another shed for that stuff.
    Donny

[QUOTE=I even caught her using a lathe gouge to dig out weeds ,but this is thailand where all tools have multiple uses[/QUOTE]

"Any tool can be the right tool" (Red Green)
    Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are...
    (Larry the Cable Guy)

Any tool can be the right tool
    (Red Green)

I know how that goes. I have a decent size shop. The wife thinks that I can store the world in there bikes, mowers, atv and much more I am building a 28x30 shed this spring just for all of the extra non-woodworking stuff. My shop is not a storage unit

Anthony, stand your ground Bud, I don't let my wife put anything in my shop. I have a really small shop to begin with and don't need any extra clutter. Keep your tools off limits too.

i always stand my ground but the wife who is the gardener has a habit of digging the ground from under me

I agree with what most posters said except: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU SWITCH TO DECAF!

Don't cave, we'll all suffer from your weakness!

For what it's worth, LOML actually told me to go ahead and build the shop in the garage, and put up a garden shed to get her stuff out of the garage, now that I have the garage shop mostly done, she is starting to make mutterings about making a 180 degree turn on that. I am seriously thinking about putting up a shed as a shop and not letting her have a key... If she did have a key, there would be too many face flowers, and flower pots in my shop in less than a week!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

All you gotta do is make sure she has plenty of space. My wife has a sewing room upstairs, exercise room (spare bedroom with treadmill), garden shed attached to the back of the house, freestanding greenhouse and a freestanding studio/office. I have my shop; also freestanding.