Thread: TV stand for the daughter's Christmas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TV stand for the daughter's Christmas

Something a little different for me. I usually do windsor chairs and colonial stuff, so this required some thinking about how to go about building this without a lot of machinery and virtually no shop. It took about four weeks working in the cold, with snow flying sometimes while I was working outside. Now the neighbors KNOW I'm crazy. Anyway, daughter and family are delighted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Outstanding Bob!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second what Jim said. I really like it. I would like to see what you could do with a fully stocked shop full of specialized machines and jigs. I don't think I would work outside in the snow, but then I am from Florida

Yes that is beautiful, especially considering your working conditions. I live in maine and my basement shop gets down to 45 deg and think my conditions are bad. I certainly can't imaging using my LN and LV hand tools out in the snow. Great work.

Bob, great looking tv cabinet. Could you take us thru a little of the details, wood species, stain and finishes. Was this your design or an plan?

Thanks for the interest, guys. The wood is all red oak except for the insides of the drawers which were dove tailed poplar. The drawer fronts are quarter sawn red oak. My daughter saw a similar TV stand on line and printed a picture to give me a rough idea of what she wanted. I took this and modified the design, mostly to fit my abilities and the tools and shop I had to work with. The unit is basically oak framed, mortice and tenoned together and the boxed 3/4 veneered plywood shelving units on either side drop in and provide mounting surfaces for the side mount drawer glides.

It was too cold to glue up boards for a top outside, so I purchased a piece of 3/4 red oak veneered plywood. As you can see, the top is encased in a red oak frame. I knew this was going to be picked up by the top, so I used a router to make a 1/4 inch dado around the plywood and also the oak frame, then inserted a 1/4 spline all around. The oak frame over laps the top slightly to hide the edge intersection of the frame and plywood.

I stained the whole piece with Cabot stain, then found out my daughter wanted it a little darker, so I put a second coat Minwax Special Dark Oak stain with sealer over that to darken it a bit. Several coats of wipe on poly finished it out.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Nice work. Very Nice!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Beautiful!!!
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

ridiculous. I spend every extra dollar i can buying all these tools and i cant make anything even half as beautiful. Some of you guys are just so good at this stuff

Nice work if done inside with all the power tools. Outstanding work based on the working conditions and tools. Skill and determination over fancy tools. Way to go.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country