Thread: Question on bowls

Question on bowls

I will be heading down south to start my season shooting next month. I usually crash at my moms for a week ro so and ofcourse, I have several bowls for the family to give when I am there.

There is such a difference between here and there relating to temps and humidity that I am concerned. My thought was to make them leave the bowls (all oil and or Laquer finish) in a loose fitting bag for a few months for them to acclimate. Would this be correct or do you have any other suggestions?

Ken, some people look at a perfectly turned bowl and fall in love... some folks look at the somewhat oval one next to it that has bark inclusions, wild grain and other blemishes and fall in love. I have found it hard to really judge peoples attraction to any particular turning. I would suggest that since the wood will move seasonally, and may or may not move abruptly after gifting, then just suggest that they not leave them in an open, extreme situation (bright sun, damp corner, etc) and treat them occasionally. Beyond that, remind them that they may be repaired, or when you are done hunting, tuning the saws, changing the oil in the tractor, bucking logs and whatnot..... you could turn them another
    I think that wood offers few guarantees....., except that the recipients will usually be elated

Ken I have not had much of a problem with bowls that I have sold or given away after they have been finished. I agree with Fred that there are no quarantee's with wood but I always tell them if it goes bad I will make it right and turn another one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I don't think there would enough of a swing to worry about. Unless you had bowls that already had small cracks or some such - those might get bigger, but sound bowls should remain sound. With most woods the initial drying is where the danger is - that first big swing from like 20 or 30% down to 8 or whatever. Swings after that due to relative humidity are not nearly as drastic. Laquer is likely to significant slow moisture exchange times as well, making the threat even lower. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks fellers. I just figured there may be an issue with such a drastic change in the temps between here and there(WV to FL) I have hardened off the bowls so I am pretty confident there wont be an issue but figured an ounce of prevention might save me some issues.

Winter, in West Virginia will probably have lower humidity than what you will be moving to. I don't think wood ever cracks as it picks up humidity/moisture content. Just to be sure, I would not have the bowls near a vent, or in direct sunlight for a week or so. Now, moving from rainy Eugene, OR to Palm Springs, I would bag the bowls for a week or so.

robo hippy

I would think you would be OK because the bowls are all finished. As long as they are not in the direct sunlight - I think you would be fine. Looking forward to hearing about the results because I have family in Florida and it would be nice to be able to send them something without fear of it being ruined because of their climate.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Relative humidity doesn't differ as much among non-arid states as we think. At this link

http://www.cityrating.com/relativehumidity.asp

you will find comparisons of average humidity among a number of American cities. Note Tampa's average of 88/59 (a.m./p.m. readings) to Pittsburgh's (no WVA city listed) of 79/57. I wouldn't think this kind of change would cause major problems.

Ken, I can only base this on my experience with guitars, but they should be fine if (as indicated above) the pieces are not left in direct sun, the trunk for 6 months, next to a heater or AC vent etc.

Naaa, mom will take care of them. I would have just felt like a heel because I refused to send them down at christmas because a few were just finished and I wanted to watch them incase a crack developed etc.

I will be in the swamps for a few days shooting before i make it to her house, but I will package them and keep them safe until I get there