Thread: Home made dust collection bins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home made dust collection bins

I would like to build a dust collection bin for my cyclone. I'm thinking I would like something like a box with a side I can open and somehow use a trash bag in. This way I don't have to lift any lids to empty it. I just open the door, remove the filled trash bag and replace it with a new one, close the door and I'm done.

Does anyone have or know anything about something like this? I'd love to see some pics and/or advice on building such a critter.

Pretty sure they're called "drop boxes."

I know FWW has some info on them. I'd bet a google, WITH "dust collection" in the keywords, would get you far.

I think there IS a science to sizing them, and where to place inputs and outputs.

Biggest problem I'd see in building one is making it air tight. If it leaks, the cyclone will pull everything out of the box and deposit it in your filters! Something to keep in mind as you ponder the design for one. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

One of my friends has his cyclone on the second floor. On the ceiling below it, he has a collection box that is on parallel arms. It is gasketed where it meets the top, which is attached to the ceiling. When it is full, he swings it down, and using a "Shop Scoop" empties the bin. He has a very small shop, but does have an upstairs area.

I will be in the same boat. I like to plan out major changes like installing a new DC and pipe before I start. I have an older Oneida cyclone that due to height restrictions I can't find a barrel that will fit, even the smallest are too tall. I was thinking of a box in a box design. Making the outer box solid to help support the cyclone, with a door in the front to remove the inner chip collection box. One of the drivers behind this, is to be able to take the chip box and chips straight down back to the brush pile using my hand truck. My worry is that not all the chips will land in the chip box and I will have to clean out the outer box each time I empty the chip box. Does anyone have a feel if this will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I was thinking of a box in a box design. My worry is that not all the chips will land in the chip box and I will have to clean out the outer box each time I empty the chip box.
    That's what I thought he would have to do...and exactly what would happen.

Here's mine, +/- 200 gallons, viewing window, and it has a bulkhead outside so I can just shovel it out onto a tarp and drag it into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Here's mine, +/- 200 gallons, viewing window, and it has a bulkhead outside so I can just shovel it out onto a tarp and drag it into the woods.
    Really not hard to come up with solutions that simply contain the chips, but the OP wants a solution that "somehow use a trash bag in" so "I don't have to lift any lids to empty it. I just open the door, remove the filled trash bag and replace it with a new one, close the door and I'm done." I'm guessing shoveling and dragging aren't of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    Really not hard to come up with solutions that simply contain the chips, but the OP wants a solution that "somehow use a trash bag in" so "I don't have to lift any lids to empty it. I just open the door, remove the filled trash bag and replace it with a new one, close the door and I'm done." I'm guessing shoveling and dragging aren't of interest.
    I didn't say it was a solution to everything on his wish list, just showing how I solved my problem. To me the biggest advantage to what I did is that I don't have to try and empty it in the shop and get dust everywhere in the process. Also, being as big as it is, I don't have to empty the bin in the middle of a project. It wouldn't work very well for a basement shop, though.

I'm not sure of the dynamics within the chip collection barrel. Proving the outer box has a good seal, why would the chips be near the top 1/2" inside the outer box? I also wonder how the bin will fill up? Will it fill like an ant hill and only be 1/3 full by the time the pile in the middle reaches the cyclone exit, or is there enough turbulence in the bin that the chips will spread out some to give be a bin that will be filled 1/2 to 3/4 up the side before the pile in the middle reaches the cyclone exit?

Thanks for the pic John. That is very close to what I am thinking about.

Does a trash can fit under the cyclone now? At my local hardware store they have a curled up piece of plastic to put in a trash can inside of the bag to keep the bag against the sides. The plastic piece slides out of the bag when your are ready to remove the bag. Seems a lot simpler than building something.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

The collector that came with my cyclone (Grizzly 2hp) won't fit where I have my cyclone mounted. Since I need/want to build something I figured it would be nice not to have to open a lid and mess with the tubing that connects the bottom of the cyclone to the dust bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrell W Sloan View Post
    The collector that came with my cyclone (Grizzly 2hp) won't fit where I have my cyclone mounted. Since I need/want to build something I figured it would be nice not to have to open a lid and mess with the tubing that connects the bottom of the cyclone to the dust bin.
    I'm confused...the Grizz 2hp has a 35 gal drum that sits under the cyclone body...it has to (gravity and all). If it doesn't fit how small is your intended build gonna be?