Thread: Solid top or torsion box?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Double up on the 3/4 mdf top. then edge band. You won't regret it, I'd even be bold enough to do a triple layer. Or maybe double 3/4 and then a replaceable layer of 1/2" mdf (edge banding would be thicker to accommodate the top)

I think you can't go wrong with a thick heavy bench/cabinet top
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I agree with Aaron: double at least (I would triple, but then, I like overkill and MDF is cheap!) and edge band.

I just added my two cent in another recent discussion on workbenches and their tops.

I like the idea of just stacking three 3/4" MDF sheets together with glue and screws. Then finish the top with replaceable 1/4" hardboard (screwed...no glue) and add a 2 1/2" high wood edgeband. Make sure there are enough intermediate stretchers to prevent sag.

It will be solid top, and be easy to mount a vise or temporarily attach jigs to it.

Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I built one from 2x8's that had been used for a set of stairs that never got built right. Took the top after glue up to a guy who had a 36" wide belt sander/planer. Totally flat and never moves. Much more durable [I don't like MDF much] and I will never have to replace it. I hate doing things twice for no reason other than wear.