Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for vector ruler file

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Hi folks. Here's a design for a small key chain for a promo. I wanted it to show off the various capabilities of the laser. Hope it comes in handy for someone!

Ed
    Ed, What is a good material to do these in? Acrylic? Thanks Doug

I think that acrylic would be best for sitting in someone's pocket. Note that I rounded the corners slightly to take the sharpness out of it.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Thank you Aaron. I am in the process of making templates for a process and your "duplicate" trick was just what I needed to made it quick and easey.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Wasn't there a post about Speed Odometers?

I thought someone posted some dials he had made in vector format... Anyone recall that post?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

We make rulers out of scrap PETG for use in the shop. We vector engrave the lines and raster out text, backfill the engraving with enamel and sand off to make the rule translucent.

Surprisingly easy to read through when laid on top of a drawing, but not annoyingly transparent.

The price is right. .040" or .060" PETG is really tough stuff.

I've been thinking of making architects and engineers scales but haven't gotten the gumption. Anybody have any to share?

Attached Files Attached Files

Kevin,
    That is an awesome idea, thanks for sharing.

Kim

Hmmm....

Note to self, pull out the old slide rule and start duplicating it. Nothing said fashion for engineers back in the day more than a slide rule on your belt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    Hmmm....

Note to self, pull out the old slide rule and start duplicating it. Nothing said fashion for engineers back in the day more than a slide rule on your belt!

Yup!! And a pocket protector full of pencils..
    Ooops sorry, that was the computer department..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    We make rulers out of scrap PETG for use in the shop. We vector engrave the lines and raster out text, backfill the engraving with enamel and sand off to make the rule translucent.

Surprisingly easy to read through when laid on top of a drawing, but not annoyingly transparent.

The price is right. .040" or .060" PETG is really tough stuff.

Hi Kevin,

Those looks really slick!

Would you mine give the details on what "enamel" you used,
    and your technique on how you applied it?

Since you mentioned sanding, what grit did you use?
    I can't see any scratches in the PETG.

About how long does it take to fabricate one?

What I did few years ago - special rulers for police, may be will be interesting for somebody
    Attached Files Attached Files
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Hi Kevin,

The lines are very sharp in the photos, nice job.

Would you mind sharing what "enamel" you used, and how it was applied?

When you say "sand off", is that the excess enamel too, or just the PETG to make it translucent?

I just back-filled the engraved areas with a random oil-based paint that was in the shop. The paint had been around for a while so it was fairly thick. I used a silkscreen squeegee to work the paint into the engraved areas while minimizing the paint left on the surface. After the paint set up, I sanded the back with 120g or 150g on a random orbit sander to take off the excess paint and to make the rules translucent. We sand acrylic and petg all to time to make it translucent, as long as your careful and consistent and work down to at least 120g, the scratches really aren't noticeable (that's the point of the random orbit after all).

I've found that it's most efficient to engrave an entire sheet, backfill and sand, then go back to the laser (or a shear) to cut out the individual rules.

After doing this a couple times, I can make a 16"x32" sheet of rules (16@2"x16") in maybe 15 minutes, plus ~40 minutes for the lasering as well as the time it takes the paint to dry.

I've found that bumping the laser ~.020" out of focus makes the line a bit wider which seems to hold the paint better.

-kg

I just back-filled the engraved areas with a random oil-based paint that was in the shop. The paint had been around for a while so it was fairly thick. I used a silkscreen squeegee to work the paint into the engraved areas while minimizing the paint left on the surface. After the paint set up, I sanded the back with 120g or 150g on a random orbit sander to take off the excess paint and to make the rules translucent. We sand acrylic and petg all to time to make it translucent, as long as your careful and consistent and work down to at least 120g, the scratches really aren't noticeable (that's the point of the random orbit after all).

I've found that it's most efficient to engrave an entire sheet, backfill and sand, then go back to the laser (or a shear) to cut out the individual rules.

After doing this a couple times, I can make a 16"x32" sheet of rules (16@2"x16") in maybe 15 minutes, plus ~40 minutes for the lasering as well as the time it takes the paint to dry.

I've found that bumping the laser ~.020" out of focus makes the line a bit wider which seems to hold the paint better.

-kg
    Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Only 120g?! I expected more like 400g.
    I only have a finishing palm sander atm, we'll have to see what happens =)

One last question...

When you say "oil paint", are you talking like...

house paint
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

or like artist canvas type paint?
    http://www.universityartcatalog.com/...05_990606.html

I've found no reason to sand past 250g, I'm not trying to polish the plastic and I don't want it to take forever. A normal orbital sander should work OK, but it won't be as quick or as consistent.

If memory serves correctly, the paint was a Krylon Oil Enamel, I imagine a variety of paints/inks would do the trick, I just happened to try the oil based paint first and it worked. If I'd gone out to buy something, It might have been something different.

-kg
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 09-27-2010 at 10:06 AM.

15. Where do you purchase PETG at?
    Chuck
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)