Thread: Home Theater surround sound setup advice needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Home Theater surround sound setup advice needed

I am in the process of researching setting up a low to mid-range Surround Sound setup in the living room to compliment my new 55" Samsung LED tv that I got for Christmas.
    I am looking for advice on speaker purchase and placement. I have checked out some of the Home Theater forums but these seem to be geared toward the high end stuff that I cannot afford (or want to, for that matter) I would rather spend that kind of money on woodworking! So I am turning to my friends here at the creek for some sane advise.
    I have built a tv cabinet to sit it on 100_1780.jpg

The front speakers will be behind the doors on each end of the cabinet. The cabinet sits directly below the peak of a vaulted ceiling which runs perpendicular to the cabinet. The room is 16X17 with the main seating area about 9-10 ft directly in front of the TV. I am planning on a 5.1 setup. Speaker selection and placement (especially the surround speakers) is my biggest issue at this point. Right now I am leaning toward getting in-ceiling speakers mounted in the vaulted ceiling positioned slightly behind and to the side of the seating area. At this point this seems to be my best option for the surround speakers due to hardwood floors on a slab. I have talked to some co-workers that have a similar setup that say it works well.

Components I currently have and therefore feel I must continue to use:
    2 Cerwin-Vega RE Series 20 Front Speakers
    1 Technics center speaker that came with my 20 year old receiver (I might want to replace this in the future)

Components I have decided on but do not own yet:
    Onkyo HT-RC270 $479 at Amazon
    Yamaha YST-SW216BL Advanced YST II Front-Firing Active Subwoofer

Components I am considering in no particular order:
    Yamaha NS-IW360C 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System, White Set of 2

Micca M-8C 8 Inch 2-Way In-Ceiling In-Wall Speaker (Single speaker so I have to buy 2)

AudioSource AC6C 6.5-Inch In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair)

Yamaha NS-IW360C 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System, White Set of 2

Pyle Home PDIC80 300-Watt 8-Inch 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System

So after all this, what do you guys think? Is the in-ceiling speaker route workable? If so which one would be my best value? I would like to keep my speaker purchase in $150-175 range.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-29-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.