Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grill cart - material and finish?

This is all terrific guys, thanks for the feedback.

As if the choice of table weren't fraught enough, the choice of BGE model is now the focus!! We have large gatherings (20-30 people) about 4 times a year, so the XL size seems to be the one to go for, but the conventional wisdom is a Large, then a small. I just can't see an 18" being large enough for the big cookouts. So it looks like an XL, although I'm worried about regulating the beast's temperature, and then there's the fuel consumption. Which suggests a large and a small. But then the wife doesn't want two grills.

On the woodworking front, obviously the choice of grills influences the design. What I'm thinking right now is to make the damn thing out of PT softwood, knowing I'm going to change it in a year or so, and then make the final job out of white oak.

But thanks again for the help & advice, this is truly a nice problem to have. If frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    ...the choice of BGE model is now the focus!! We have large gatherings (20-30 people) about 4 times a year, so the XL size seems to be the one to go for, but the conventional wisdom is a Large, then a small...
    Mark,

I have a large and it would be difficult to feed 20-30 people with it. I've done 3 butts on a large but that's the limit.

One of the great features of the BGE is that is can be used as a smoker or a grill but that's also one of the most frustrating things about it, you really need two, one for grilling high-heat applications, and one for low and slow because the high heat tends to ruin the gaskets

My impression is that the XL would be excellent for high-heat grilling applications but I'm curious as to how it would do on a really low burn (like 180 for salmon).

Mark, I had the large and upgraded to the XL. It is harder to control the temperature with an XL for a low slow burn. I solved the problem by buying a real pit smoker made by a place in Houston for doing BBQ and I use the XL BGE for searing steaks and doing all the other things it is good at. I am not sure why it is harder to control the temperature in the XL over a large, but it is. Of course it could be operator error. I would go for the XL, and just know that it will take you a little time to get used to it if you have been using a large.

By the way I built an outdoor kitchen for my BGE, attached is a picture.708.jpg

Enjoy your new BGE, they are fantastic

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    All suggestions gratefully received!
    Stainless steel. I'd go for a natural brushed look.