Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, my name is Tim and i am a shopoholic

Hello, my name is Tim and i am a shopoholic

In the past week I have bought several things I don't need but bought anyway.

Planer base for planer ..added base for miter saw(said why not?)
    delta splitter for CS..added CI wing(said why not?)
    blades for jointer..added $39 dust shoot( said whay not?)
    needed to cut a metal tab so bought a grinder( said why not?)

The first sign of needing help is admitting you have a problem right?

So Help me and tell me to STOP!!!

Join the club. One of my first tools was a PC Biscuit Joiner because I found a great deal on it. I didn't really need it, but I was told I would end up buying it one day, so I figured "why not now?". I've only used the dang thing once in 2 years, but HEY, it's mine.

Tim, those seem like very conservative purchases.

You don't need help. On the other hand, I guess I do.

In the last week I purchased: a 16" bandsaw, a cabinet table saw, a 8" jointer, a 15" planer, a 17" drill press, and a scroll saw.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-20-2005 at 11:56 AM.

You guys aren't helping!!!!

I can't wait to see all the pics Frank...your shop is awesome!!

It's Therapy!!

Tim: It's not a problem at all it's a form of therapy. I found a good deal on a 8" stacked dado set; already had one, but felt real good about the deal I got!!!!!
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

Tim....you obviously chose the wrong place........this isn't the woodworking version of AA.....this place holds the "drunks on the floor of the neighborhood bar!" You won't find anyone here to "put out the fire"....instead you'll find us "fanning the flames"!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-20-2005 at 1:04 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

NEGATIVE,Tim!!!

As soon as the no button is hit,the computer instantly turns to dust. Computers are expensive to replace. Looks more like you are just another SawMill tool junkie!!! Now, the next step as a tool junkie is to search for the tool you want,at the lowest price,so that your money will stretch to be able to buy something additional.ex;"Well, I saved all this money,plus free shipping, so now I can add the accessory to it!" SEE???
    Now, there is no cure, be aware of that...So the only way to manage this toolitis, is to purchase things, every now & then.That's what creates the therapy.
    Have fun,safely & enjoy.
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I know your pain. There is no escape, just degrees of spend.

What's the problem, women have been getting away with it for years, new skirt, so I need a new blouse to go with it and shoes and them dang hose, and there's no way I would be caught in an accident not having matching panties and a bra. Oh btw I also needed some matching earrings, while I was at it the matching neckless and ring couldn't be left by their lonesome..... AND, AND, AND.... they were on ssssssaaaaallllllleeeeee.

So I say men, and women of woodworking, let's unite and if it is on sale and if I really, already have two or three, who cares.... go for it.... because, just like having thirty pairs of black shoes...... each tool has a reason, I just needed the #5LN, cause it does something different....

Besides, it makes me happy and happy is good cause the little men in the white suits will take me away some day anyways, and...... I got to go out at lunch and get a fix..... I've got it bad man, BBBBBAAADDDDD!!!!!
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

It just gets worse. When you first start, you pick projects you can build with the tools you have. Later, you pick your projects based on the tools you'll need to complete it.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Tim, Exactly what is your point ???

Picked these items up from an auction a year ago. I got the lathe for $226 and got the two RASs for $76 each. I have used the lathe, but havent done much with the RASs. Just got a Jet mini the other day because the Powermatic 90s still in the garage and it is WAY to cold to work out there (-20F) Picked up a strong-hold chuck for the lathe along with a oneway grinding jig and a wheel balancer. Just placed an order at Lee valley for a $21 adapter to use the stronghold chuck on the Jet Mini. Desided to order another $260 worth of stuff to go along with it! There is also the ....... ...................

Seems like a pretty "light" tool month to me Tim.

Now last month was painful being Christmas and all and being forced to purchase an unplanned for Leigh D4 (Thank you Rockler 25% off sale) and Excalibur blade guard (Thank you Amazon Friday sale). That being in addition to the odds and ends I'd picked up earlier. I'm really trying to be good this month as the Chicago WW show is coming up on Feb 4-6th!

Blog Entries
    Tim,
    What you NEED to realize is that you do not actually NEED any of these tools! You WANT them, and thats perfectly ok. You NEED to to get over this concept of feeling guilty about buying things that you WANT. Having the things we WANT is what makes our lives worth living. So to sum it all up you actually NEED the things you WANT to make you happy.

Don't worry, be happy

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well this morning I online ordered 2 24" Gross Stabil P2 clamps. For no other reason than they were on a 25% off sale at Woodcraft and they make a nice compliment to the 2 40" and 2 60" I already have. I was feeling real guilty until I read this.
    Use the fence Luke