Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: business cards - need to pick one material

business cards - need to pick one material

Hey all,

I've been so incredibly impressed with everyone's business cards (posted throughout the years) and I'm a little torn by what material would be best for me (to start with)

This is going to be a hobby-business, definitely weekend type stuff. But, I do want to be as professional as possible. I will also be approaching a list of local businesses.

I am considering:
    Alumamark with rounded edges, or
    Lasermag (might be better for handing out to regular people, rather than businesses?)
    or LaserMark,
    or even a thin acrylic and some spray paint (already read the threads on fusion, etc)

Not going to go the wood route, simply because that's not the area I'm focusing on.
    No plan to engrave both sides at this time.

Does anyone have experience with having these different types of products, and which ones might have more of a wow-factor ?

Cheers!

I have had great results with chewbarka's anodized aluminum business cards, my customers love them.

Thanks for the suggestion on ChewBarka, Brian. Cool stuff.
    Vytek 65-watt F/X2
    Photoshop Elements
    Photograv

A lot of free time....

Don't forget wood. You can buy the veneer sheets from http://cardsofwood.com/products/laser-printable-veneer. They will sell you plain veneer for lasering or the ones that are printable on a printer. Nice thing about them is that the sheet size is small and you can get a few sheets instead of having to buy full sheets from other suppliers. I bought some not long ago and it was very nice material.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks Brian, I had totally forgotten about that option. I've also heard nothing but good stuff regarding his business.

I'd appreciate if you could scan and post one of your cards ?

Cheers!

I use two different kinds of cards, for two types of contacts. Where I know there is going to be followup and no need to make a big impression, I use a paper card with a laser cut design. Just a bit more flashy than the usual card. Where I want them to remmber me for certain, I use cards cut from flexibrass with a LOT of detailed design. It ALWAYS gets their attention. I try to think about what response I want and frm whom before deciding what my cards should be like.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Hi John.. that's exactly where I am now. I don't mind the paper card as 'contact info', but I definitely wanted a 'sell' card. The flexibrass definitely has a good look.

We have a card stock from Jerry's Artarama that engraves and cuts nicely...made a whole mess load for a gun show we attended. We etched the company info and used color mapping to make a score line at about half height on the card so that it flipped out/down like a pop up to show a stripped lower AR-15 receiver (this part was cut completely through the card). No puns intended, but they were very well received and without a doubt brought in business. In fact, customers have requested additional cards to pass out to their colleagues and friends.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Hey Chris - I don't completely understand - is the card two layers? Do you have a picture of it? It sounds intriguing, I love to see other people's inventive cards.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I love to see other people's inventive cards.

cheers, dee
    They you'll like this site:

http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/wes_thomas

Scroll through them with the "previous" and "next" text.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have found the business cards from chewbarka to be very good overall. A little pricey, but I only hand a couple out a week, so its quality over quantity in this case. I thought the Red anodized cards were far superior to the black, and I cannot comment on the blue.

Some of the Cards of wood cards also came out very nice, my favorite was their curly maple. Many though did not engrave well, or simply didn't quite feel right. The curly maple though had a nice marble wood grain and gave a good reddish brown contrast.

Can I post a picture of my business cards as an example?
    Trotec Speedy 30W (firing at about 34W) 29"x17"
    CNC machinist using Mastercam for Mills and Lathes
    Mechanical Engineer using Solidworks and Pro Engineer Wildfire
    Aquariumist Extrodinaire

Russell

go ahead and post it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

card.jpg

Dee - here is a photo. The text is engraved to the core of the stock, exposing a gray color while vectoring the AR and score line

(If this breaks any forum rules, let me know and I'll edit out company info.)
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Chris

Looks good to me both from a design standpoint and the SMC TOS.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Chris, I love it! Very nice and efficient use of the folding thing, which could have used a cut out of anything, really.

thanks for sharing, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong