Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaker Style Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Beautiful workmanship, wood, and hardware! Your design has that simple elegance that I enjoy.

Hey, thanks everyone for the kind comments! Very humbling! Believe it or not, I finished this piece yesterday and we're moving today! Just a couple miles, but still a move! So I had to finish this piece before the move and the closing of the wood shop. So I have a couple minutes for a cup of coffee and a quick response...

Darren: Shhhh.... That's a secret between me and you! If no one looks at the construction pics, no one will know about the special "design flaw" that I built into this piece. Kidding. I'm just glad I was able post some color pictures!

Lee: I think the notch that you mentioned is a thin strip of cherry (1/2") that I used to separate the cabinet from the base to give the piece what I hoped would be a nice shadow line. Having just moved it into our new house, it makes for a nice gripping spot as well! Who knew? So that's what that is. The line above the dovetails is a scratch line for cutting the dovetails so that you know how deep to cut. In my case, sometimes the line is just a suggestion for where to stop cutting! Some guys plane it off others keep it. I planed them off on the drawers when I fit them because I had a fair bit of fitting to do. I didn't have a lot of planing to do on the case so they ended up surviving. Some don't like the look of it, but I don't really get that bothered one way or another.

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement! Now it's about time to tear down my shop and try and refit my cabinet saw through the basement window! Such fun!

Beautiful work as we have come to expect from you Jason.

When did you relocate from California?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jason,

Great work! I really enjoy seeing your shaker pieces posted. Keep up the great work!
    And good luck with the move!

Cheers,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

That's beautiful. And the photography is outstanding as well.

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

amazing craftmanship. I would not call it Shaker, but a gorgeous design by jason. To my eye it's a mix of Danish, shaker/ contempory. thus an original Jason.

Jason, kudo's to your website as well, I spent quite some time going through your photo album of your recent desk. Your attention to detail is outstanding, plus I think it really shows in your photography skills. I love the black and white photos also.

Good luck on your move.

Hey, thanks guys!

Michelle: I have been looking at Danish work quite a bit for inspiration. Nice call! There are a number of pieces that I would love to build in that tradition.

Jeff: Thanks for the note on the website (I know my site doesn't always look the best on PC's though. I built it on a Mac and sometimes it doesn't cross platforms too well). Regarding photography, we enjoy messing around with the camera at our house. The B/W photo's were my homage to Christopher Schwartz and his excellent craftsmanship and wonderful photography. He normally shoots in B/W so I thought I would as well for the construction pics.

I like simplicity in furniture design too. That is a great piece!

exceptionally exquisite !!!
    Love the dove tails
    MARK