Thread: Suggestions on insert shaper tooling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Most profiles won't accept a shaker profile. There isn't enough there to back the insert.

I have no input on frued or amana heads, other than both are middle of the road tools for everything else they make. Not bad, but not that great either.

I have an LRH set which is pretty decent, but they filed. I've got another set that I don't know where it came, I think its a WHM. Not sure though. It's a really nice set of heads.

I just ordered a set of Whiteside shaker heads yesterday. $480

I would really like to have some heads custom made that are a bigger diameter, and either 4 or 5 wing. Definitely a 5 wing for a panel raiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post

I would really like to have some heads custom made that are a bigger diameter, and either 4 or 5 wing. Definitely a 5 wing for a panel raiser.
    Help me understand why you would need 4 or 5 wings and which tooling manufacturers recommends this?
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Help me understand why you would need 4 or 5 wings and which tooling manufacturers recommends this?
    Recommends? I don't know who recommends it. My cousin had a four wing panel raiser made and it was awesome. My three wing LRH does a good job, his four wing is incredible. Even when not super sharp, it leaves a very smooth cut.

A bigger diameter for cope and rail will give you more room for more inserts and a higher tip speed. Should give a better cut, and with more inserts run some higher feed rates, which for me saves me money.