I'm planning to replace the front vice on my bench with a leg vice. Still in the planning stages, so I haven't ordered the vice screw yet. Until now, I've been planning on ordering the Veritas tail vice screw for this.

One thing I've been thinking about is how to make the vice chop, and specifically how near the floor the bottom end should be. I saw a video where the bottom end of the vice chop was literally on the floor, where it had to be lifted to make it move when turning the vice screw.

My plan was to have it end a little bit over the floor, but now I'm suspecting that would make the screw bind because of the downward force.

Browsing youtube for leg vice designs, I happened to find this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWe32IDX-Ec

It's the Benchcrafted gliding leg vice. It looks really remarkable. I've never seen that one before. Or never noticed the little detail that makes it so great.

The little wheel under the parallel guide is a brilliant idea. I might do something similar, but with the Veritas vice screw. It should turn rather effortlessly if I make a similar design.

I must say, however, that the benchcrafted leg vice is tempting, even though it would cost 10 times as much.