Thread: Which Shapton stone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which Shapton stone?

I am trying to put together a sharpening setup for my planes and chisels, and have come up with the following plan:

DMT DuoSharp Coarse / Fine (for flattening stones, backs, and establishing bevels)

Shapton 1000 or 2000

Shapton 8000

Leather strop with paste

My question is whether to get the 1000 or 2000 Shapton stone. The “fine” side of the Duo Sharp is supposed to be the equivalent of a 600 stone.

And does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Get the Pro 1000 not the GlassStone. Good stone to start with. I have 2 Sigma Power stones (#120 and a #240) to fix chipped edges and re-establishing bevels. At times I have to use my WC slo-speed grinder to fix a real bad blade/chisel. For flattening my synthetic stones I use a DMT Coarse/X-Coarse and an Atoma #400.

Often asked. 1000! Final answer (from my corner of the ww world)! It is altogether a different beast from the 2000. I have most of them and find I like at least one grit between the 1000 and the 8000, though this leap works out sometimes. It really depends on the size, hardness, and initial condition of the iron / chisel. 1000 to 6000 works more often, but 6000 isn't always the right final grit either. Again, depending on the steel, the 8000 is a "polisher" and can't quite take the scratches off the surface left by a 1000. If it's just a secondary bevel, a very small polishing area, I find it generally will work.
    Finally, the way I do things I get a very satisfactory edge with a 6k or an 8k and have no need for stropping. We all appear to be different in this regard.

Honestly?

#1000, #5000 then strop, or if you're into very small microbevels, #8000 instead of the #5000. If you've got more A2 than O1, then go back to the #5000.

Only get the professional, please.

Stu.

(I don't use Shapton, but I do have 12 of the stupid things.)

Blog Entries
    I picked up a set of Shaptons a couple months ago and here is what I did...
    Duo Sharp course/x-course, shapton pro 1k, 5k, 15k. I find I am using the x-course side more then the course, and with the shapton 1k stone I don't think the fine dmt would be necessary.

When establishing a bevel I like the x-course dmt. Then I go straight to the 1k and refine it a bit. Then micro bevel on the 15k and done.
    When flattening a back I like having the 5k in between the 1k and 15k, and I like the 5k for sharpening things like scraper edges and such.

YMMV.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I have the Coarse/Fine DuoSharp and it works well. You might consider the Sigma stones in 3000 and 8000 grit. I recently purchased the Sigma 8000 from Lee Valley after using both a King 8000 and a Norton 8000 over the past 10 years. The Sigma is amazing!!! I gave both the King and the Norton to someone who needed them more than I did.

Regards,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I have the Coarse/Fine DuoSharp and it works well. You might consider the Sigma stones in 3000 and 8000 grit. I recently purchased the Sigma 8000 from Lee Valley after using both a King 8000 and a Norton 8000 over the past 10 years. The Sigma is amazing!!! I gave both the King and the Norton to someone who needed them more than I did.

Regards,

Ron
    Umm, LV don't sell a Sigma #8000 stone... #10000 Select II perhaps?

Stu.

(Who can't count all his Sigma Power stones. There's too many and half of them are hiding...)

Shapton Pros 1K, 5K, and leather strop or 1K, 5K, and 12K. My leather strop seems to worsen the blade after it comes out of the 12K so no stropping if the blade touches the 12K.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

The reason I was considering the 2000 was because the jump from 600 to 1000 seemed a bit close, and the jump from 1000 to 8000 seemed a bit far.

But putting together some of your suggestions, maybe I should switch to the DMT X-Coarse/Coarse and the Shapton 1000 and 5000. I could always add a 8000 or higher Shapton if I felt like I needed it later.

Blog Entries
    I think that would be a decent compromise, if you find the 5k stone a bit low, you can always strop on just about anything for next to nothing compared to a 8k or 15k stone.

I would suggest the 15k later, as I find it cuts faster them my 8k king.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Looks like we're generally in agreement.

I don't feel that the diamond and the 1000k work the same way. the Shapton works quite a bit more neatly. You can also see the trace of the steel on the stone which is often helpful. I always feel that the diamonds are for hogging the blade down rather than creating a cutting bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Sansom View Post
    Looks like we're generally in agreement.
    Actually no, but the question is about Shapton so we have to work within the confines of that request and restrict it to 2 stones only.

In the case of only 2 stones, you need to keep it sensible and make do. Easier to make do at the top end by stropping.

In the case of only 2 Shaptons, you need to pay more attention to keeping it sensible, which means keeping the grit jumps tolerable and then finding something else to get a good working edge. Depending on how much steel needs to be worked and what kind of steel it is, you make a decision.

And really, the only choice the standard 1k-5k and deleting the final stone, either 8k or 12k. Shaptons, for all their fabled wonders just can't dig deep enough to make a big jump and get a really nice working edge with 2 stones. They aren't made to be used like that.

I'm sorry if that's news to some, but that's just the way it is...

Stu.

That's false. I use a shapton 1k followed by a 15k with a hollow grind - I've been doing it for 4 years now, and for the last year, I haven't used power tools (so the stones have been seeing plenty of use). Use of the 5k is generally restricted to japanese irons.

I do the same thing on HSS irons if I use stones (sometimes I just sharpen them with moving leather), just use a microbevel.

Every three hones or so of a hollow ground tool, I take a swipe across a 46 grit wheel on a dry grinder.

I guarantee I can hone a hollow ground chisel faster than someone can get a stone out of water and put it back in a container and put a lid on it, and it will be just as sharp.

The story might be different if I didn't own a grinder, but I'd hate to choose stones that take longer to use so that I can perform the function of a grinder with them.

I went so far a couple of years ago when I was deciding what i'd do as a permanent sharpening regimen to check everything under a dissection microscope to make sure I was getting all of the scratches removed, and to find out of I could see why and whether any of my natural stones were finer than the 15k shapton (only one of them that cuts at an acceptable rate to use really is, and it's marginal - scratches look a lot different than shapton scratches, though).

I've seen a lot of things about shaptons (they load and you can't stop it, etc) and every single one of them can be remedied by using them correctly. If you're using something that wastes fast, like a japanese iron, freehand, a spray of water and short strokes with the iron down the length of the stone and all of the swarf is loose. That's really the way you should be sharpening them freehand, anyway, as long strokes will just create a bevel that is less flat and get you in trouble down the road.

As far as the cutting depth, a quick look at alex gilmores pictures shows just how drastic and deep a shapton cuts in the kind of stuff most people are actually using.

http://liveweb.waybackmachine.org/ht...om/test521.htm

(funny that all of the grit test pictures are gone from alex's page - i wonder what happened - I had to go to web archives).

All of this is about the pro stones, of course. I wouldn't buy glasstones even with government money. The only problem with the pros is how much they are marked up in the US, when they're less than 2/3rds the cost overseas (well, and here if you're willing to buy them ebay, or takeshi kuroda, etc).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

I guarantee I can hone a hollow ground chisel faster than someone can get a stone out of water and put it back in a container and put a lid on it, and it will be just as sharp.

You don't want to put money on that...

Trust me, you don't.

Watch your mailbox...

Jeez....

Can never just blow up over something and have that be the end of it!

I already have a 10k chosera that I am too lazy to soak and use. It was nice to use the one time that I soaked it. I haven't tried it on HSS yet, though, but if it's just a world of splashing things, I like the shapton better. With a soak, the chosera has a nicer feel. No clue if you can just leave it in water. Subjective sharpness, i can't tell the difference, though the polish looks a little different if the chosera is soaked.

Some day, i will put a video online of sharpening a chisel. Not some 6 minute diatribe and discussion of all things in the world, like a lot of the videos on youtube. Not some oilstone laden thing where someone takes scads of strokes and goes through 4 stones and then still has to strop. It'd be less than 30 seconds.

There are just too many ways to skin the cat for me to be able to make any statement about any kind of stone (except maybe oilstones, i think their time has passed for chisels and plane irons - and even then maybe a caveat if someone is willing to use only carbon steel) and not be able to just go use the stone i'm making a statement about and find out a workaround. About the only ones I can't tolerate are the ones that cut even plain old hard carbon steel slowly. There are plenty of natural stones that cut pretty poorly for their grit size, and some that cut OK for their grit size, but the grit size is too small to be practical to use.

(.......and even then, it's an asset with razors sometimes.....)

I'm gonna have to stop tuning in on this kind of thread. I'm getting nowhere, and still using the same two stones.

As for the OP - 1k and 8k would be my choices.

Buy a medium stone later if you are going to freehand sharpen a lot of japanese irons on the stones. There are some really good and really cheap 4-5k stones out there for the times you'd need one - no need to spend on the shapton, *especially* if you're buying it from a seller in the US who is having to go through whatever they have to go through to become $130-$150 for a 1 micron size stone instead of $80.