Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Custom?) outboard equipment for Jet 1642

Blog Entries

(Custom?) outboard equipment for Jet 1642

Due to the last meet at Casa de Cruz, I'm the lucky owner of several 22" spalted/ambrosia Maple blanks that are in dire need of some spinnin'. The problem is, I only have a 16" throw... what to do, what to do...

Jet's outboard kit is one of those odd-looking tri-legged deals for around $450 shipped. I have seen posts as far back as 2005 discussing using the Vicmarc toolset and a few extra holes, but I only found one US supplier of the Vicmarc piece and it alone was $500 (up from $280 back in 2007!).

I didn't mind drilling/tapping a couple of holes in cast iron for the Vicmarc to work, but the cost is entirely too much now. I'm not a fan of the stand-alone tri-peds for roughly the same price. I once saw mention of a tri-ped stand from General (#2643), and while simplistic and cheap, it's still a stand-alone unit. Anyone else have suggestions for a low-work, relatively low-cost solution? Ideally one that attaches to the lathe for solidity?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Dan maybee you could modify this to work with the 1642 i have the same lathe and have been thinking of trying this ( busy bee tools ) 79.00 without tool restCT128EXT_zoom.jpg
    Last edited by mike caruso; 04-07-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: change

There are a few different ideas on the Mustard Monster site. https://docs.google.com/View?docID=d...vision=_latest
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

4. I know a guy who made an outboard tool rest from a car wheel rim, bolted on a plate that had the lug nut holes aligned, then put a pipe flange on it then screwed the correct length of galvanized pipe to it, and used some sort of fitting to attach another length of pipe for the rest itself. Worked like a charm, and cost him about $12.00 to make.

If you are handy with tools, then one can be made that is both effective and cheap.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dan, check with Patrick Stein. IIRC he made his own as well.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Blog Entries
    I like the cost and straightforwardness of the Busy Bee option, but I like the beefiness of the Powermatic option (it adds more iron near the lathe to increase holding power under tension, a strength cast iron isn't known for). $100 shipped for the Busy Bee, $310+shipping for the Powermatic. If the price was closer I would go for the Powermatic... but that's a pretty good spread in price. I can add a crutch stick under the Busy Bee that runs to the floor for further support, I suppose.

I built one for my Jet. It's a heavy vertical column (transfers force down to the floor), with arms mounting it to the right end legs. It has a fully adjustable tool rest support arm. I welded it up some time ago, and it has been waiting for me to get it cleaned up and painted. Been busy with a hundred other higher priorities since then. I'll get some pictures when I get it finished (which probably won't be until after I get done rebuilding my kitchen). It gives me 26" of clearance from the spindle (52" platters anyone?).

I built one out of heavy Square tube that attaches to the end of the lathe similar to what Ryan described for my Jet 1642. I have turned several large bowls and platters and it has worked out well for me. I don't have any photo's on me but if you are interested let me know.

Blog Entries
    I'm interested in pics, if you have them... I haven't made up my mind yet, but I don't want to let this wood sit forever. I finally assembled my lathe last night, and the only thing holding me back now is a good holder for my DC tube...

The MustardMonster link mentioned above has pics of the KeeKlamp outboard I built - it is solid and works well. Not as easy to adjust as kicking around a freestanding rest.

100_0747.jpg100_0749.jpg
    Here are the pics of my outboard tool rest. It works well and is strong best of all I built it for under $30.

Blog Entries
    Merrill,

Do you have a basic list of parts (and where you got them)? It looks like there is some welding at the transition from square to round tube at the tool post, yes? Can't do welding myself, so I'd have to find someone to do it for me. I like the design, though, especially as it folds out of the way.

Check out this one I made for my 3520b. You could easily adapt it to your Jet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...for-Wood-Lathe

Blog Entries
    Doug,

I'm quoting that thread here to keep the pictures all in one spot:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wolf View Post
    Here is what I built out of some scrap exercise equipment metal, a support tube from old lathe and a 1" x 4" coupling which I had to purchase.
    I used 3/4" bolts for the pivot hinge and the tubes slide in and out of each other for larger diameter turning. When the 3/4" bolts are tightened down it is solid as a rock. I put some weight on the tube at the bottom but probably don't need it. It allows me to turn from 20" to 44" diameter outboard. The test piece in the picture is 22" x 5/8" thick. The 1" coupling accepts Powermatic tool rests. If your lathe uses another size, they are available from Surplus Center.
    The old lathe I started on is now a buffing station since the tube is now repurposed. Since the photos were taken I shortened the end of the tube that pivots 4" so the tube that slides into it will slide in further and get the tool rest closer to center.

Last edited by Dan Hintz; 04-08-2011 at 8:02 PM.

I just happened on to this while surfing allofcraigs.com: http:// santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/2256928889.html
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 04-08-2011 at 9:11 PM. Reason: links to CL only allowed in Deals & Discounts Forum