Thread: Perfect Size for New Shop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lots of good thoughts and suggestions. While I know what I like to build (furniture, cabinets, thingys, you name it), I didn't stop to think much that everyone has their comfort zone and it is different for all.

Like you Jim, a number of years ago I had a 40 x 40 garage that gave my wife room to park her car and the rest for my shop. Then we bought a cabinet shop and had 15,000 sq ft. Today I have one stall of a three car garage. We are going to be moving again soon and I may have the chance to build.

For my perspective, I think a 24 x 36 +/- is about the right size. I would love to have a small head in it so I am not running to house all the time, but not sure that is in the budget. I would certainly go with ten foot ceilings in most of it, but something higher in part of it to give overhead storage would be ideal. A room in back for spraying would also be ideal. If the funds were the, I would like to put in radiant heat in the floor as it is safer when using flammables, plus it simply makes everything feel so much warmer. I had not thought much about it, but the skylight is a great idea. Hit fifty last year and I need all the light I can get anymore. There is no doubt that putting dust collection and air compressor outside is the only way to go. Gets the sound outside so I can hear my tv while I work.

Thanks all for your thoughts. If the build happens in the next few months, I will be asking more questions.

a couple of years back i put up a 40x60 steel building (rhino) with 14' eaves, 20' in middle. LOVE IT, but although it is insulated, no heat or ac - too big of a space for my budget. i did put a 20x20 'office' 8' in the air so i wouldn't lose floor space.

heat is a problem in the summer, and dressing warm and moving around between tools in the winter has been okay, but this past winter i started scroll saw puzzles/boxes, thus sitting for hours in one place. i am now finishing a 14x14 room under my office which i will heat/ac for mid-summer/winter work. also a place i can do finishing work in the winter.

check out the steel building prices - they are affordable with one of the largest expenses being the concrete floor (not being in the business, the concrete prices shocked me).

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.