Thread: Oilstones and Gouges

Oilstones and Gouges

Hey, everyone!

Just letting you know, but if you've seen this already, forgive me.

I put together a short primer on oil stones and on sharpening a gouge on my site (www.norsewoodsmith.com) - direct link is here:

Oil Stones, and Sharpening a Cabinetmakers' Gouge

Hope that some find the information useful...

Leif

Leif,

I've finally had time to make it through the whole document...very well written as usual. Being able to see the positioning, etc is a tremendous asset.

I was in Barnes&Noble last evening. The lastest issue of "Traditional Woodworking" {published in the UK} has an article {the second in a series apparently} by Zoë Gerstner on how to sharpen carving tools.

I thought you might find it interesting that the picture at the top of the article shows what appears to be a fine white stone and a gouge being honed...in a figure 8 pattern.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and techniques.
    ~Dan

Leif,
    Nicely written article! Thanks for taking the time to put it all together, I just wish you had it done a little earlier. I had not done any carving before the lettering on my "fireplace boxes" this Christmas. Not having a Tormek, and knowing any better, I settled on the same system you did with the rocking motion parallel to the stone and then stropping.

Tom