Thread: Baseball bat turning question

Baseball bat turning question

So I am turning a baseball bat for my future father-in-law from a piece of ash I picked up a few months ago. It it roughing fine, but I seem to be getting a lot of vibration while I am using the roughing gauge and the blank gets thinner. I have been sharpening the gauge as I go and the resulting finish on the blank is fine. I am just concerned by the amount of vibration that is occurring. It is not the lathe as I have turned some bowls and mallets with no issue. Is it me or something that I am causing or is it common. I am concerned that as the blank gets thinner in diameter I have not raised or lowered the tool rest. Could this cause vibration not having the tool rest at the proper height?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. You need a spindle steady.........a long spindle will develop a whipping motion as it gets thinner.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

In addition to the steady - make sure you haven't applied excess pressure through the tailstock.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think you're probably experiencing some flexion in the wood with tool pressure... Sometime I'll use my left hand to stabilize the piece while holding the tool in my right. If you're handy with a skew, that may be the best tool for the finishing cuts... If you're not, it's probably the worst. A steady rest would help considerably as Roger suggested.

I've turned several bats for my nephew who used them in the wooden bat league he competed in during high school. They will flex as you get them thinned down. I usually turn the barrel end of the bat first and it is on the tailstock end of the lathe. I then work the handle end down toward the headstock. Some things that will help. I turn a tenon on the blank and mount it in a chuck to reduce the flex problem. In place of a spindle steady that I do have I prefer to use my hand to steady the bat as I turn it. Make sure you have a good smooth surface before using your hand in this manner and it still isn't as safe as a spindle steady. I use a 3/4" forged spindle gouge to shape and get my finial cut on the bats. While a sharp skew leaves a better finish I still have trouble getting the shape just right using one and the shape of the bat is key in making it work well.
    Good Luck,
    Jack

Thanks Guys. I knew I would get the help I needed here.
    Mark