Quote Originally Posted by Jason Neal View Post
Okay, so I'm a cheapskate. My brother has wholesale access to motor start and motor run capacitors so I'd pay probably 1/4 to 1/3 of retail.

Previously I came across someone recommending dealerselectric and I eyeballed the sub-$200 3HP VFD and I assumed it would become a sub-$200 paperweight in under 5 years. Can anyone vouch for the quality or reliability of the Teco brand?

But I wanted to try the static phase converter not just because I'm a cheapskate but because I like electronics and I get a kick out of making something work on a shoestring budget.

You know, I got into this whole woodworking thing so I can get rich quick. Did I have the wrong idea?
TECO units are good quality. It was mentioned above, but just to reiterate - you need to re-wire the saw's switch to be a control input to the VFD - if you use a switch wired between the VFD and the motor you will very likely damage the VFD's output stage.

A VFD is the best choice for single-motor machines that aren't too huge (cost reasons), and for any machine that may benefit from varying the speed - drill presses, lathes, etc.

A rotary converter is the best choice for multiple motor machines or multiple machines, and may be more economical than VFDs depending on motor size.

A static converter is the last ditch choice you only take when money is pretty much the only factor.