Thread: How wide of boards in a table top?

How wide of boards in a table top?

I am making an oak end table. Its top is going to be 15 X 24" and 1" thick. I was thinking of three 5" wide boards. Even if I alternate the end grain rings (I will use flat sawn boards) will warping be a problem with the wide boards?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    I am making an oak end table. Its top is going to be 15 X 24" and 1" thick. I was thinking of three 5" wide boards. Even if I alternate the end grain rings (I will use flat sawn boards) will warping be a problem with the wide boards?

Thanks
    Bryan, here is a recent thread on a similar topic. Lots of good info within it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ge-oak-glue-up

Thanks Scott! That was exactly what I was looking for. I think my idea of 5" wide boards will work fine. The reason why I want 5" wide boards is they divide evenly into the with I want and my dealer normally has rough oak boards between 6-7" wide.

Probably the same reasoning behind all the old furniture!

If the boards are properly dried/seasoned, they should stay flat. I do not alternate growth rings on purpose. I sort for color-matching and best face period.

Go for quartersawn if you're really worried but frankly, I never liked quartersawn oak's ray flecks.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Probably the same reasoning behind all the old furniture!
    Jerome,

I'm not sure to which comment you're responding.... what same reasoning behind all the old furniture?

Unless I am trying to replicate an antique anything goes today. I was fortunate to look at a table that was way to long and wide for anything but the big house it went in (BIG BUCKS) I could see useful in my life I would build to accompany the wood. Old growth its self is worth protecting.