Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a better square

I'm looking for a better square

I've been using rafter squares to square up cabinet casing. The ones I buy at the BORG are accurate for awhile but tend to get out of square quickly. Does anyone know where I can find a sturdy rafter sized square of high quality? I'm thinking the ideal tool would be designed like a carpenter's speed square (typuically max of 12 inches) but larger like a framing square (typically 16 x 24 inches).

rafter square and speed square:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I've been using rafter squares to square up cabinet casing. The ones I buy at the BORG are accurate for awhile but tend to get out of square quickly. Does anyone know where I can find a sturdy rafter sized square of high quality? I'm thinking the ideal tool would be designed like a carpenter's speed square (typuically max of 12 inches) but larger like a framing square (typically 16 x 24 inches).

rafter square and speed square:
    Starrett makes some. I'm not sure of their quality though I'm guessing it will be better than anything you get at the BORG. If yours are straight, but they're just out of square, they can be fixed. Just tap it back into square near the 90 degree angle. That's a pretty common occurrence. I've been squaring mine up for the last 10 years.

Here's the actual procedure:
    http://zo-d.com/stuff/how-do-i/how-t...ng-square.html

The OLD rafter squares had ground edges. They are all stamped out these days,as far as I can recall. my own large squares for serious work are large machinist's squares. However,they cost new thousands of dollars( I got mine used!) They are also quite heavy,and really intended for work around milling machines,and layout for metal work. You don't want to slip and drop one on your wooden project.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Scott, I have this one: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,42936,42944
    It's not cheap but it is by far the best one I have ever used. I even use it in the metal machining side of my shop. The markings are photo-engraved and very easy to read.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    What about a craftsman? I have a craftsman framing square and it is a little bit higher quality than one from a BORG. But craftsman guarantees handtools for life and will switch you out with a new one no questions asked. So at least you could get a new one if if goes out of square.

If what you want is a bigger speed square (that is, you don't need the inside edge of the carpenters square), you can build one from wood. Start with a triangle of good plywood like baltic birch. Add solid-lumber edging. Test it, and tune it if necessary with a handplane or jointer. I've got one that's about 3' by 4' that I use for setting up a track saw to cut plywood for cabinets. It is within 20 mils of 90 degrees in that 4' length. That's an error of less than .02 degrees. It has stayed stable for years.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-04-2011 at 8:04 PM.

I use a 24" drafting triangle.
    http://www.cutting-mats.net/2340.html

i have a typical borg type aluminum carpenters square that I Squared up the inside corner then put it on my sliding table saw and trimmed the outside to square it. worked great.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Tom's suggestion is downright clever. I would get one with some color in the plastic, so I could find it after I put it down.

Put a little foam tape on one side, and it won't slide, either.

No way would I bring a high dollar LV tool to the job site - that's too much temptation for the mooks I work with to bear.

Blog Entries
    Sort of like Steve, I have a pair of steel framer's squares. One I squared for inside and one for outside.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Pinnacle T-Square @ Woodcraft

Take a look on the Woodpeckers website (maker of Pinnacle). You can get both carpenter's square and speed squares. I have the 4" and 6" triangles and their older 12" speed square (they also have an 18" speed square).

The quality is fantastic. Not cheap but I find them indispensable.

Sadly - the late Nissim Avrahami's excellent tutorial on making large triangles has been lost because he uploaded it to photobucket (or similar) and not to SMC.
    In it, he gave step by step instructions in his typical easy to follow way.

This was one of the things he'd made that I was looking for not too long ago. I found the thread, but, the pictures/instructions are lost forever.

Sorry for ths slightly OT drift - but - if anyone has them I'm sure Nissim would be happy to have them back in circulation - giving due credit of course.

Man - I sure miss that guy. He was a one of a kind & one heck of a nice guy.

Scott

Its quite simple to adjust a framing square. I have about a dozen, and I rotate them from the good to bad spot in the shop, and once in a while adjust a few. I am sure you can find a tutorial, but basically you stretch either the inside corner or the outside with a hammer to get it back to square. It only takes just a couple of minutes, but you do need a reference. I bought a big machinists square like George was talking about used. But there is another method if you do not have a reference square.....

You can also check a square pretty close by itself. Use a known straight edge piece if sheet stock, lay the square on the edge, draw a line, flip the square in the other direction and draw a line from the same starting point. Any difference is "HALF", that being important to keep in mind when you correct, of what the square is off. Get it square and gently touch the edges with a file, and you are good to go for another round.

Larry

Blog Entries
    Scott,

Woodpecker's has what looks to be a really nice 24" Square.

I've got one on order but havent received it yet.

It is a little pricey.

PHM