Thread: Please steal this design for your arthritic friends

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please steal this design for your arthritic friends

I have been making these simple screwdrivers for many years and they have been fantastic for folks whose hands are stiff and sore. 4 1/2 long and 1.70 at widest flair. It's easy to push down on the wide top and stiff hands can grip a handle this big around.
    These make great Christmas/holiday/birthday gifts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that is a great design for anyone to use, those are nice Michelle.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Consider it stolen!

Thanks!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I like your design! Looks like it would be comfortable to use and will keep it in mind! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Michelle that is a nice looking screw driver. Michelle I just made one for our neighbor who is 91 out of ash/walnut. I need to order a bunch more.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great idea, Michelle. It allows you to apply more torque to the screws with less strength.

I have been advocating the same thing for turning tool handles for years. It allows you to control the torque created by big tools like spindle roughing gouges cutting shavings with a lot less effort. The end result is that you stop "white knuckle" turning and do not have sore hands -- or, even worse -- hand cramps.

I need a couple of these myself ,thanks for your idea

I think that is a great idea. I have been making some seam rippers, needle threaders, sitlletoes, etc., for my wife's quilting friends with arthritis, utilizing large diameter handles. They really like them too. A lot of items could be improved for those whose grip is not all it might be.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Michelle, Thanks for posting this, I think my father and mother might appreciate this idea. Your's looks very professional!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Arty sometimes uses my hands for his summer and occasionally winter residence. That looks like something that might not aggravate him when he is in residence and so he may stay asleep so I am thinking I could use one of those myself.

I assume that the hardware is a kit. Can you provide some source info for it?

"The best things in life are not things."

Great idea, Michelle. I may need to go ahead & make the 1st one for myself. My hands are getting to the point that they can use any extra help.
    Billy

What a thoughtful idea! Something like that may hold my electric at bay! Where do you get the kit portion?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I hear that, Bill: I've made oversize tool handles as my norm..much longer & thicker. Sure makes a difference!