Thread: Modify chair rail

Smile Modify chair rail

I made a chair rail out of pine using a router bit, only to discover that it was too wide for my daughter. Since I'm going to be a grandpa, I best fix it now. I was in some old homes and noticed the shape of those railings were exactly the fix that I need. The problem is how to go about it. See attachment, which outlines the existing and the proposed. I don't want to cut corners on the table saw - then use spokeshaver etc. it's about 13 feet long. Any suggestions?

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure you mean chair rail? Looks like you are talking about a handrail. If you are, as a point of interest, your rail is too wide for anyone, and does not meet code, 2 5/8" is the widest it can be. Reshaping your present rail is difficult, because you no longer have square edges to run on.
    Richard

Well, if that is a hand rail, I could see screwing a piece of plywood to the bottom edge to get back that square reference, try to place screws where they will be hidden by spindles if possible. I would take out as much waste on those cuts as possible with the TS, then a series of round overs and perhaps a large core box would do it. If you don't own the bits already I'm not sure its worth buying them for a single 13' section of handrail?

I can't believe I said chair rail. It is a hand rail mounted to the wall to the basement. Sure looks nice with all the knots. So, I guess it is TS cuts, spokeshaver, plaining, scrapping and if I'm lucky I have a router bit or two. Hand tools are more fun anyway. Thanks for the comments.