Thread: Tack Cloth - OOPS

Tack Cloth - OOPS

I've turned a white oak bowl - sanded thru 600 grit - applied first coat of Tru-Oil - and let dry 24+ hours.

I then wiped down the bowl with a Tack Cloth and let dry another 24 hours.

The bowl has a "waxy" feel - and I think I should have omitted the Tack Cloth step.

Not sure IF - or HOW I can clear the "waxy" feel before I continue with the next application of Tru-Oil.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mineral spirits should remove the tacky transfer. The proper way to use a tack cloth, is to unfold the cloth, completely, fluff it into a light ball, lightly tack the surface. That being said I don't of any painters that do it way, just keep it light, and you should be OK .

If you will peruse the finishing forum, you will find that "tack cloths" are a big NO-NO. As you have found out, they leave a residue on the wood that can play havoc with many finishes. Wiping down a piece of baseboard you are going to slap a coat of paint on is one thing, wiping down a piece of wood that is going to receive a rather critical finish is quite another.

I think you will find they really have very little functional use. Removal of dust can be accomplished in better ways.

Gordon, these guys have more experience than I, but I will say that I've never had problems with tack cloths leaving residue on a dried surface. I believe they can cause adhesion problems on subsequent coats, but I don't think you should have a 'waxy' (I'm gonna guess you mean 'tacky') surface that your fingers would notice that much.

Did the bowl have a waxy feel before you wiped with the tack cloth? Was it totally dry? What temperature/condition are you drying at?

I suspect the softness yr feeling is the oil just not being dry yet.

The only time I consider using a tack cloth is after sanding; never in between coats if I haven't sanded. For oil based finishes, the best tack cloth in between coats (again only if yr sanding) is a slightly mineral spirits dampened rag.

If I were you, I'd let it dry for another couple days. If still soft, then wipe with MS, and repeat yr schedule this time without tack cloth.

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    I have found that the "micro-fiber" cloths that you can buy at the "dollar stores" are better than the traditional ones with the sticky coatings. As a matter of fact, our local paint store is selling a commercial version of the cloths for just that purpose. I bought one but it doesn't work any better than the cheaper version.

Thank you all !!

I did the same thing on a table. Mineral spirits took it right off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.