Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe Decisions ???

New Lathe Decisions ???

Hey fellow Creekers, I'm in the process of trying to decide on which lathe to purchase. I've been using my brothers 35 year old 12" Craftsman Spindle Lathe for the past 6 months, and want to get one of my own. I asked Steve Schlumpf for a direction to start looking in and have narrowed it down to about three different units. I've been turning small bowls, vases, hollow forms, and a few boxes. I'm looking to spend around $600-$1000, so Powermatics are out of the question. I would really like variable speed, a minimum of a 12" swing. Now I would like to get your personal opinions and or experiences on these three lathes, or please suggest any others that may be to my liking.

(1) Delta 46-460 (+/- $599) read reviews on it, watched vidios, seems like belt pully changes can be a challenge. This was Steves suggestion, but I'm not sold on it. Just something about it I'm not crazy about.

(2) Jet JWL-1442VSK (+/- $1349) I did see some negative reviews on the mechanical speed changing system on this unit, also minimum speed is 450 rpm, is this acceptable for it's lowest speed?

(3) Turncrafter 12" VS Commander (+/- $480) I do like the electronic speed control, with the digital dispaly, although I couldn't find any info on how the belt changes take place.

The Jet 1442 is a floor model, but only has a 10" swing. The Jet & Delta have a 5yr warranty, the Turncrafter 3 years. The Jet has 42" between centers, the two bench models under 20' without extensions. I'm leaning towards the Turncrafter 12" Commander with the bed extension, but would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Lots of good recent threads on this Paul...take a look at some of what's been said and buy well!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Try to find a used lathe. You can get better deals that way. Of the above lathes, I would take the Delta. Variable speed, and 1 hp motor. Great for small bowls, but a 11 1/2 inch bowl would be pushing its limits. You don't say where you are, but find a local club. Best source for everything.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Merrill View Post
    The Jet 1442 is a floor model, but only has a 10" swing. The Jet & Delta have a 5yr warranty, the Turncrafter 3 years. The Jet has 42" between centers, the two bench models under 20' without extensions. I'm leaning towards the Turncrafter 12" Commander with the bed extension, but would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks in advance!
    The Jet 1442 should have a 14" (13.5") swing, would not pay more than $800.00 - $900.00 for a floor model. It was my first lathe, good for spindles.
    Last edited by John Fabre; 07-15-2011 at 1:24 AM.

Paul,

Jim is right. But It really depends on what you want to do. The 46-460 is a great little lathe. I teach on some of them and they are my favorite midi right now. The new Nova comet might be another option it has some really nice accessories that will be available such as a sharpening station that makes for a nice little package. Also I would look at the Nova 1624 over the 1442 as I think it a a bit more versatile machine for less money and usually goes on sale in the early fall.

Either way there are many good threads so read and enjoy.

Alan

There is a Jet 1236 in the classifieds here on SMC that comes with a TON of extras including chucks and what not for 500, depending upon if your close enough to pick it up thats a great deal its in Loiusvilly KY, I am not sure but you may have to cough up $6 to become a Contributor before you can access that area of the forums. just throwing that out there for ya....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-for-the-creek.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have the Delta and really like it.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Try to find a used lathe. You can get better deals that way. Of the above lathes, I would take the Delta. Variable speed, and 1 hp motor. Great for small bowls, but a 11 1/2 inch bowl would be pushing its limits. You don't say where you are, but find a local club. Best source for everything.

robo hippy
    I agree with Reed on getting more for your money with a used Lathe, but they are few and far between. Most I see come up used are either very old and require too much love for my needs, or junk. I owned the Delta 46-460 for a little over a year, and it is hands down, a fantastic lathe. It will easily do an 11.5" bowl. Even with the Jet 1642 I now own, there are times I miss the Delta - can't say enough about it. My move up was simply an impulse thing based on the thought that ultimately I would want a bigger lathe and felt the time was right monetarily. I could still be happy with the Delta.

Pulley changes on the Delta take less than 30 seconds - don't know any lathe that is quicker. It takes longer than that on my Jet - not much, but longer.

Listen to Steve.

Another vote for the Delta. I have a friends Delta in my shop and am quite impressed with the power.

I have had several lathes - older Delta, Rikon and a Jet 1220. I kept my Delta 46-460 because of the bang for the buck and the fact that it had the 1 hp motor. One of the smoothest running lathes I've had. Belt changes are quick when required. I keep the belt in one position and I'm able to dial the speed I want with no changes. I can't say enough good things about this machine. All the standard accessries fit it with 1x8tpi head stock threads, #2MT on the headstock and tail. I put it on the Delta floor stand with locking casters (changed out the stock levelers) and this makes it realy easy to work with.

Everyone has a preference, if you have a wood working store near by, go and see if they will let you try the lathes out you are considering.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Kevin L Little; 07-15-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Most electronic variable speed lathes have more than one speed range and require a belt change. On most lathes it's a not a problem. It's certainly not on my PM3520B and it was not on my Jet 1014 VS. I wouldn't be pushed away from the Delta 46-460 for that requirement. If Steve, Bernie, Terry, John and others give it a thumbs up, I would buy one in a flash. I haven't had the opportunity to see one yet.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Don't forget resale if you think you may step up later...

If you are wanting to hedge your decision towards future decisions to upgrade, I think the popularity and quality of the Delta will assure you won't lose much when you decide to upgrade. The belt change on that lathe is a no-brainer, very easy, when necessary...and that being said...I don't change mine much. I have a PM and the 46-460...and I turn on the 46-460 nearly as much, and certainly more when my stock is smaller and I don't need the big PM. The Delta is that nice of a lathe. I was able to find a nice used Jet 1642 for about $1300 a few years back, so if you're not in a hurry...take the time to watch local ads and attend local club meetings. If you've got a strong local club chapter, someone is likely to know of someone wanting or thinking about selling a lathe. These folks will be indispensable for helping you weed out the trash lathes that are out there too. Good luck.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

changing the belt position on my Delta 46-460 is very easy not quite as easy as the one on my Rikon mini but it also doesn't need changed all that often so its definitely not an issue

the Delta is the Rolls Royce of midi lathes in fact i would say its superior to any bigger lathe with a Reeves drive got plenty of power to turn 12" bowls and the ability to reverse is alot more useful than i ever thought it would be

if bang for your buck is important to you its highly doubtful that you can beat it and for sure you will enjoy using it

I would go for the Delta. Belt change is a non issue in my eyes. You don't change the belt very often. 1 hp, VS, 12" swing and reverse is good. I have turned several times on one doing a couple of bowls and a couple of hollow forms with no problems and no belt changes. If it had been out when I bought my Jet 1220 I would have went with the Delta instead.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.