Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough sawn oak- Treasure or trash

Rough sawn oak- Treasure or trash

A buddy found some oak that was cut about two years ago. I can get it for free. It was stacked and stickered outside but didn't have a good cover (read almost none) on the top. It's really discolored but I brought a piece home and ran it through the planer and it doesn't seem too bad. There must be 800 B.F. Some is cut 8/4 most is 5/4. Soooooooooo..... What do you think? Should I cherry pick the bottom stuff or run more of the top stuff and see how it goes? Could anyone tell me if the lack of proper care is going to bite me in the B... when I go to finish a project?

Its free, its oak; get it. It may not be suitable for fine furniture but if you have room for it, you will find uses for it. Most likely there is a mix of treasure and trash. 5/4 is a good thickness for oak, you can plane off the warped edges and still have good material. 8/4 is even better.

If it were me, I'd cherry pick it...unless I was thinking of making an amazing workbench. I bet there's plenty in there to laminate up into one heck of a top and some killer legs...

Blog Entries
    If i had room I would take it all and see what i could get out of it... use whats good and git rid of the rest... if you don't have an easy way to get rid of the trash, cherry pic it.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Actually I'm going to have to agree with Dennis. If it's free 5/4 and 8/4 back your truck up and haul the whole lot off. I would then pick through it @ your leasure. Unless its rotted it will all come to good use. Look it over real well before you bring it in doors, might have a few bugs. I would kiln it just to give me a piece of mind about the bug thing then move it in and rack and stack. If a piece is to twisted ti used it make good fuel for the smoker.

A fellow creeker helped me get 750 bf of beech that had been barely covered. We took off the first few rows and just loaded it up. When I started using a board that the water stains stayed in I set it aside for utility use, and moved onto the next one. It's great having around a load of hardwood that can be used for whatever, without remorse, as well as making other finer projects. I've used the beech to make easels, canvas carriers, and a step stool. My brother made a surprisingly nice table. And the set aside stained pieces have made shop drawer boxes, backed veneers, and made jigs and fixtures.

Its free so whats the worry? If all else fails burn it for heat.

+ whatever to the above..

Free is free & oak is oak. A more suitable for paint grain structure would be nice, but, there's still a ton of utilitarian uses a hard wood like oak can be put to.

In some ways I consider this a better find than top lumber at a modest discount. Its free. Its going to either rot or go to firewood. Besides shop cabinets, fixtures, test cuts, etc etc, it can be used to make real furniture.

I disagree with the philosophy that if you are making something with your time you should buy the top top materials to make it with. Yes, there is an occasional piece that warrants heirloom quality materials. But builders and craftsmen for centuries built with what was available (the local materials). By using this type of wood for your projects you are conserving natural resources, and you might be surprised at how well it turns out.

My latest project is just this - a couple of dressers that came from wood that was otherwise going to the fire. It has taken a lot more work, planning, design mod, etc, but I am pretty satisfied with the finished product. For example - there was some staining of the wood as you say - so I ended up staining the wood darker to even it out (normally I would NEVER stain hardwood - but I have to admit it looks good)

So take it all. Do watch for bugs and in particular the contamination of your existing lumber. Using it will expand your design skills, creativity, and conservation of a natural resource.

Also its a good idea to clean the boards, i.e. stiff brush to any dirt, before you pass them over your cutting tools.

It's garbage, probally even dangerous to burn. Tell me where it is and I'll make sure it's properly disposed of.

Seriously, I would pick up the whole lot and either kiln it or spray it bug stuff then use it as needed.

Thanks,
    BCM

Great find Dave.
    Load it up and bring it home... Before someone else does.
    Can't beat free wood. I'm sure there is a ton of real nice, usable stuff in the lot that will make some real nice projects.

Several years back I got the same opportunity to get some hardwoods free. It had been stacked outside with no covering at all other than the sky. Had to go through and dump the top couple of feet due to rot and warp, but the rest was OK. After planing some of the better boards I was left with some useable material. Sad to see the sawyers work go to waste like that.

Treasure - Use what's in good shape for projects, burn what's not for firewood.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Is it red oak or white oak?

Red oak left out uncovered to dry can be problematic. Its structure makes it very prone to absorb water and to end check and rot.

White oak is relatively unaffected by the stacking method. It will "gray" but that can be either planed out or bleached. White oak will not rot like red oak.

However, both are susceptible to powder post beetle infestation. Be very leery of storing anywhere close to other wood until you either have it properly kiln dried or otherwise disinfected.
    Howie.........

take it and run.....if was close to me I know I would....I have gotten oak on auctions before that was stored like you described paid next to nothing for it. I probley only threw away about 10%