Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Thou shalt not covet.....

Holy Moly, look at the size of the burl up about 20 feet! That limb definitely has to be removed. The weight of the burl will likely snap the limb off and land on the neighbors lawn...
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

John,
    I just had two pretty good sized oak trees removed from one of my houses for 450.00. The guys name is "Slick".....really, that's the only name I got..... and a phone number. He pulled the trees over by attaching a pulley to a nearby tree, climbing the tree he was going to cut, attaching a 9000# line to the tree, thru the pulley and to the back of his truck. His helper put pressure on the rope and he cut.....15 minutes and the tree was on the ground without touching the house. I can get him and be up there whenever you say.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I'm drooling on my keyboard! John you better act fast, I'm only a state away from that burl maker.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I don't like Silver Maple that size, or rather wouldn't want one that size any where near my house. Out here, they start to fall apart in the 30 inch range, especially if there is any rot. Part of that could be that they are not used to the rain and mild temps, and grow way too fast. Big Leaf Maple lasts longer. If their insurance company looks at it and determines that it is a 'hazard', it has to come down or insurance can get cancelled, and the insurance company won't cover the cost of removal. Could be some nice wood in your future.

robo hippy

I would givem' something to shoot for,offer to buy the replacement in exchange for the remnants of that awful diseased thing.About $75.00
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

An arborist could remove only the limbs over the house, and while he is up there, he could attach a cable for them...to keep the tree from falling on the house....or for other appropriate purposes as they might develop.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Forget about us lusting with you! We have our own neighbors (read: neighbor's trees) to lust after!

I would think that a couple of "Keeton" specially turned burl creations auctioned off would more than cover the cost of the tree remove plus a lot of wood left over so he could send each of use on SMC a piece. Sounds like a plan!

Arrow

There is a church yard in Tuscon that has a very old olive tree that is a mass of burls right down to the ground. As beautiful as plain olive wood can be, it's hard to even imagine what's inside those many burls. Is it proper to lust after something that's in a church yard?

You can rent one of those cherry pickers from a tool rental places in town they rent for about $140.00 here and you get it Sat-Mon morning they go up to 45 foot . You could start up high and trim the limbs and bring then down that way . I've done it on trees over hanging my house back when I was real dumb and did not turn just burnt the wood .

I am trying to avoid lusting after wood. I have plenty of wood that I can't get to. I have enough wood... I have enough wood... I have enough wood. But WOW that sure looks like nice wood!!!!!

Marc

Why not???

Nice looking tree. Not only is it in danger of causing damage by having limbs falling onto their house, but silver maple have roots that grow a long ways from the base of the tree. I'm surprised that they are not having problems with the roots of this tree damaging their foundation as close to the house as it seems to be in the picture. The large silver maples I was giving last year were all three cut to prevent them from doing anymore damage to the foundation of the home they where at.
    Good Luck,
    Jack

John, That is definitley a tease for a woodturner for sure! I saw a big willow tree on the way to my nephews house that looks like the trunk is one, burl on top of burl and it is about 40" across, I need to go take a picture of it and see if I can contact the farmer and see what could be done also! I think we all have come across the "Burl tree" that dreams are made of, but your friends tree is exceptional!

Good luck on the selective harvest of a few burls!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Blog Entries
    John, that is truly one sick tree.
    Have a Nice Day!